The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Film Body?

robmac

Ok, courtesy of the ever kind and friendly Cindy Flood, have a Nikon V Coolscan enroute. Stupidly sold my 5000ED and all film gear a couple of years ago and regretted it since.

Use a Canon 1Ds2 primarily shooting Voigtlander SL, SLII and Mamiya M645 glass via adapters. Looking for some possible AiS glass in future as well. Have shot with Nikon D1, D1H series, Fuji S3, Nikon FE2, in past. Use Elinchrom lighting (modest) and Nikon SB-80dxs and SB-24 (w/IR filter as wireless trigger) as flashes in small SBs, modifiers as well.

Am thinking F5, maybe F4/S, but thought my exploration might make a good discussion of various bodies. My thoughts/requirements/musings as background:
------------------------------------------------------

1. Not looking to spend big $$, say $400 and under for a BGN model.
2. More heft than say FE2. Loved mine, but found mirror slap with such low-mass body not to my liking.
3. Must have MLU (rules out F100)
4. More metering functions with AiS, an Ai-P (chipped AiS a la Cv SLII), the better.
5. AF would be preferred but not absolute.
6. The 3D Color Metering of F5 sounds sweet for use with AFD glass.
7 Size not a big concern.
8. Ability to use common batteries would be nice - as in AAs, etc vs. requiring charger.
9. Has to be able to take abuse.

10. Optional VFs like Waist Level MIGHT be nice. Have Mamiya M645 bellows en-route and might come in handy when body mounted on same.

That should get the chatter going. Thoughts?

Last edited:

monza

The F4 certainly has heft. :)

If it were me I'd go for F100, but if MLU is a must, then you've got two choices the way I see it...F4 or F5, especially considering #10. KEH seems to have plenty of options. :)

robmac

#10 isn't critical - just might be neat (vs a 90 degree eyepiece), all other things being equal.

The F100 (F5 Lite as it were) is well regarded, but the lack of MLU seems an odd omission on Nikon's part. Out of contention might be a stretch, but it's a negative.

Have also read some not so nice things about the F4's metering accuracy.

monza

I've owned F100, F4, and F5, never noticed any metering issues with the F4.

Been thinking of an F100 to use with Leica R glass...

I'll cast my vote for (in order) F3, FM2, F100. I think if you are shooting film, which is quite a different beast than your 1DsII, a really light-weight body makes it even more of a counterpoint. Most of my issues with the F100 are autofocus related.

My first "real" camera was a Nikon FM and I took it everywhere because it was small and light, and the camera with any lens short of my 70-200 zoom fit conveniently in the pocket of my North Face jacket. I loved the F2 but never took it anywhere because it is a TANK. The FM and F3 I loved.

By contrast, my DMR -- much like your 1DsII, is big, heavy, doesn't conveniently fit in any pocket and as a result, doesn't really go anywhere.

BTW, does anyone have a F3 standard prism they would like to trade for a HP prism? I would rather have the magnification over the high eyepoint.

robmac

During course of current research have come across some comments regarding F4 metering vs F5.

F3 - interesting. Certainly raise some good points on small bodies going with vs larger one staying home. Like my Fe2 for that reason, but found body almost too low mass with mirror slap. That said, there is the (rather substantive) motor drive for same...

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
Rob,

I would recommend F5 based on your requirements. If you are thinking about using Nikon Ais lenses, F5 won't have matrix metering unless the lens is chipped. It is a very durable body and can be used as a hammer! F3 will also be an excellent choice. The mirror slap is much less than FE2. If you use F3 with MD4, it is even less noticeable. But If mirror return slap is very import to you, both F5 and F3 have fair amount of mirror return vibration. In my own experience, the F6 and R8/9 have the best mirror return mechanism design. Have you considered Leica SLR bodies (I remember you have some R lenses)?

Kind regards,

leif e

FM2n or FM3A would by my suggestions - all considered. The FM construction is IMO very close to perfection re SLR design. They´re small (my sausage fingers don´t complain), but still have the FEEL of heft - and they balance almost anything nicely. Great meters and shutters.
leif e

robmac

Getting some great research ideas here. Thanks all.

What I found with the FE/2 is that the mirror had a tendency to really induce shake in the body if not very careful. Not surprising as big mirror and light/tiny body. Coming from R8 w/motorgrip, and various pro digital bodies was surprising. Amazing camera otherwise.

As said, the F4 variants and the F6 will matrix meter w/unchipped glass. Nice thing is that Cv SLII glass is chipped. Won't trigger F5s Color 3D Matrix system (need AF, AFD), but...

F6 would be simply wonderful, but maybe as next step. Right now this film body is just as a 2nd, simple, backup to the 1Ds2. Want something with no charger to lug around, a cleaning kit that is simply a blower and a lens cloth and robust but cheap enough that can simply just not worry about.

Am also pondering a possible move to Nikon used D3x/new 700x in 12-24 mos - love 1Ds2, EoS glass not so much. A positive for say an F5 (F6) would be ability to refresh memory on similar Nikon ergos, size, handling, switchology -- been awhile since I sold by D1, D1H. AF would be nice (all else being equal)a s would ability to control G glass and use IS lenses (e.g. F5-6) just in case.

Counter to this, high-end 35mm film bodies are so cheap, one could easily get an F3/4, FMxx today and get an F5/6 later once have proper glass.

Ocean - LOVED my R8 with grip, it just transformed the body. Made you want to carry it everywhere. As you say, nice mirror mech, VF and awesome 'switchology'. That said, my copy had the infamous scratches on leading and trailing negatives issue. Have also sold all my R glass (sigh). Fell in love with Mamiya M645 on DSLRs - and have shifted my other glass to CV SL APO and SLII. Too curious about other glass for my own good ;>

leif - will check out the FM2N and FM3A - anything you could mention as pros/cons between the two?

Regards

Rob

monza

Don't forget the FA, it will matrix meter with old glass. The FMs are the old-style center weighted.

robmac

Thanks Monza. Half the process is trying to keep the myriad of Nikon models straight. Just looking at some F6 material. Talk about sublime. Alas, maybe later.

Lars

F5 is probably the best value right now. Whether it's what you need is a different question. You might like the locks on all dials and switches, or it might drive you nuts when switching from later Nikon bodies. Lithium AA batteries will shave a few ounces off the weight.

robmac

Lars - I am leaning that way I must admit. I like a heftier body, I prefer the Nikon switchology, it has a lot of pluses but few minuses and value-wise it costs roughly the same as an F4, F3, FMNxyz, etc. Clean F5s in the $275-325 territory on Fleabay seem about average.

O

Oxide Blu

The F6 is stilled shown on Nikon's website but I believe it is now a legacy product, sold out in many locations. If you stumble across a used F6 with low mileage it may be worth considering -- or buying.

Personally, I opted for the FM3a as my last film SLR, basically a manual SLR. It is functional without a battery, has metering when a battery is in place. I use it with Leica Z primes, occasionally take it for a walk with the Nikon 45mm pancake lens. Probably not what you are looking for, no autofocus.

robmac

Oxide,

The F6 is an object of lust. Would be ideal, but will save that for next step in 135 film (if there is one vs MF) - barring finding an etxra $1K under the sofa cushions that is ;> The price gap between a clean F5 and a similar F6 is just too great at the moment given my usage intent and camera differences (size aside).

AF isn't a necessity - of all the lenses I own, only one is AF. Logically should be more, but prefer the process of MF, the IQ of Zeiss/Mamiya/Leica/CV, etc lenses vs Canon -- and the Canon Lens Lottery has exhausted my patience.

The issue becomes that most of the cameras we've discussed have dropped so far in value (actually the more modern bodies more so vs legacy units) that they are very close in price (F6 aside). $200-$300 +/- will get you any of the Fxxx -> F5.

So, given the similarity in price ($300 ish or under), what the F5 gives you is AF if/when wanted (e.g. future 14-24G, 24-70G), use of VR glass, use of G and full use of chipped glass, MLU, fps, weather sealing, databack (optional), different VFs if desired, tough as nails reputation, self-monitoring shutter, from all accounts, superlative metering, latest dot & arrows manual focus confirmation (nice to have), controls similar to latest Nikon FX bodies.

On the down side you have the size and complexity and no matrix metering with legacy glass.

Given the similarity in $$, the features/$1 and the 'future-proof' (for 135 film) nature of the F5 and the 'ease' with which it would slide into a possible D3x/D700x family keeps, to me, having the camera wave from the line-up of possibilities.

Now, while it may sound like I've made up my mind, such is not the case - just a little less undecided as when I first started the research ;>

N

nei1

I would get the f6 if you can(I just might)if you cant Id go back to a mint f3 which if you keep it clean might just increase in value a little for you .

monza

Decisions, decisions. :) I sure would like to have matrix metering with Leica R glass, but I don't see how that's possible. Does the F6 work like a D200/D300 where legacy lenses can be entered into the camera with max aperture?

EDIT: yes it does.

Last edited: