The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Has anyone tried the 24-105 Sony lens

jonoslack

Hi There
yeah yeah, I know :)

It's just that sometimes it would be nice to go really light - added to which, pointing the 24-70 at people in a casual situation sometimes seems to irritate!

I know well enough that miracle lenses don't exist, but there are a few that work better than one might have a right to expect.

I've heard good things about the Tamron 28-75, but I sometimes like to go wider than that, and a decent 24-105 would be a fine thing!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Tamron 24-135 is rather decent up to around 80mm and great below 50. I think it has been discontinued, but it should be cheap second-hand.

jonoslack

Thank you Jorgen
I'd forgotten about that lens, I used to like it on the Kodak SLR/n . . although it did tend to blow dust on to the sensor!

Thanks doc - I just found that too - but they don't ship to the UK.

Diane B

I've moved to the Tamron 28-75 with my 5D for most shooting (but, as you said, you'd like 24)--MUCH smaller/lighter than my Canon 24-70L--don't know the size of the Sony 24-70. Its very good--at some FL better than my Canon L--altho' not quite as contrasty, but I shoot in RAW so that's irrelevant for me.

Diane

douglasf13

Jono, I used to own the Minolta 28-75, which was made by Tamron, and it wasn't bad, although I sold before I received the A900, so I couldn't say how it holds up to 24MP. If you go with this lens, look for the Minolta version, as it had a circular aperture, and tends to test slightly better than the Tamron (better QC, maybe?)

Dunno about the 24-105, although I haven't heard great things. You may wanna look at the older Minolta 28-135.

jonoslack

Jono, I used to own the Minolta 28-75, which was made by Tamron, and it wasn't bad, although I sold before I received the A900, so I couldn't say how it holds up to 24MP. If you go with this lens, look for the Minolta version, as it had a circular aperture, and tends to test slightly better than the Tamron (better QC, maybe?)

Dunno about the 24-105, although I haven't heard great things. You may wanna look at the older Minolta 28-135.
HI Douglas
I think you're probably right . . . 28mm isn't that great for me, I'd rather go a bit wider for a 'walkabout' lens.

Diane
I tried several copies of the Tamron 28-75 on the D3, I bought the best, but it was still pretty grotty, so I only kept it for a few days.

Maybe the problem is that I want a free lunch . .. and there's no such thing as a free lunch!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
If you can live with a shorter long end, the Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8 is supposed to be good too, and very compact. I haven't tried one though.

Mark K

I have had this lens for years, and it came with my Minolta Dynax 7. It is comvenient and light weight on film cameras and OK on APS C digital but I have never tried it on A900. Should be a great lens, similar to 1680 for A900.

dhsimmonds

Hi There
yeah yeah, I know :)

It's just that sometimes it would be nice to go really light - added to which, pointing the 24-70 at people in a casual situation sometimes seems to irritate!

I know well enough that miracle lenses don't exist, but there are a few that work better than one might have a right to expect.

I've heard good things about the Tamron 28-75, but I sometimes like to go wider than that, and a decent 24-105 would be a fine thing!
Come on Jono, you know that you really want the ZA 16-35 F2.8....it really is a great lens. This with your 70-300 is all you need for most shooting if you are travelling light.

Eoin

Come on Jono, you know that you really want the ZA 16-35 F2.8.....
I agree, it's time to stop this self flagellation and move on with your life :eek:, you know .... and we know it's only a matter of time before you give in and there is a ZA 16-35 in your bag. :ROTFL: