The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony Grip Belt and an offer.... Ahem... LOLOL

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Greetings,

Not sure if it is my wicked sense of humor and if others might find this quite normal, but on sourcing dealers for a alpha in the UK I was going through my checklist what I want to buy for a initial setup, and came across the grip belt for the vertical grip.

Currency conversion todate = USD 106 or roughly 67 Sterling. :bugeyes:

So, I did not take it too serious, and called them up, listed my stuff I wanted to order.

alpha 900
24-70 2.8
70-400 4-5.6
vertical grip
3 batteries
Set of ND filters
Circ. Pol Filters
4x Sandisc extreme IV 8GB

.... vertical grip belt....

After he mentioned the price, I made a remark about a discount and that i would not be happy to pay 67 Sterling for a strap of leather unless it was garanteed to be chewed soft by handraised Koalas under the age of 2 years.

I mean seriously, gimmi a break folks....

Not a penny discount, would not throw in the belt or even come down in price. Would not accept VISA, although listed on their website. Only would deduct VAT if I pay upfront.... (We are VAT registered!)

I can not state my response here as children might read this. But those who know me will have a fair idea....
:wtf:

Eoin

Georg,

There are a few dealers in the UK worth looking at.

RGB Tech whom wouldn't ship to me in Ireland are the cheapest by all accounts.
I found a lovely dealer called Harrison cameras who may be more expensive than others but..... Such a pleasure to deal with and they ship to Ireland and will look after the vat and take credit cards. Ask for Allison, make sure she gives you a deal.

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Kewl! Thanks Eoin.

Where in Ireland are you at?

I am up north in Donegal, 45 minutes drive from Letterkenny.

Actually, Harrisons prices are not bad at all. I see you have the 70-400 as well, I was really struggling on that, it is so much more expensive than the 70-300.

jonoslack

Greetings,

Not sure if it is my wicked sense of humor and if others might find this quite normal, but on sourcing dealers for a alpha in the UK I was going through my checklist what I want to buy for a initial setup, and came across the grip belt for the vertical grip.

Currency conversion todate = USD 106 or roughly 67 Sterling. :bugeyes:

So, I did not take it too serious, and called them up, listed my stuff I wanted to order.

alpha 900
24-70 2.8
70-400 4-5.6
vertical grip
3 batteries
Set of ND filters
Circ. Pol Filters
4x Sandisc extreme IV 8GB

.... vertical grip belt....

After he mentioned the price, I made a remark about a discount and that i would not be happy to pay 67 Sterling for a strap of leather unless it was garanteed to be chewed soft by handraised Koalas under the age of 2 years.

I mean seriously, gimmi a break folks....

Not a penny discount, would not throw in the belt or even come down in price. Would not accept VISA, although listed on their website. Only would deduct VAT if I pay upfront.... (We are VAT registered!)

I can not state my response here as children might read this. But those who know me will have a fair idea....
:wtf:
Hi Georg
You could try London Camera Exchange in Norwich:
+44 1603 612537
Speak to Dave or Hannah
I don't know how they are about shipping to Ireland, but they're great to deal with - lovely people and knowledgeable, and they'll do deals

Mention my name - they'll probably laugh and make rude noises, but I always buy from them if I possibly can. . . worth a phone call anyway.

fotografz

Go here for an alternative.

www.camadapter.com

While the Sony hand strap is very nice, I didn't like the plastic attachment device which is too deep and gets even deeper when you add a quick release ...
when installed on the camera it became too deep to stand the camera upright in my roller bag.

The Camadapter attachment device IS the quick release (Arca type), is all metal, has attachments on both sides in case you want a hand strap and shoulder strap, and is not nearly as deep when installed.

Their hand straps are also very nice.

Terry

www.camadapter.com

While the Sony hand strap is very nice, I didn't like the plastic attachment device which is too deep and gets even deeper when you add a quick release ...
when installed on the camera it became too deep to stand the camera upright in my roller bag.

The Camadapter attachment device IS the quick release (Arca type), is all metal, has attachments on both sides in case you want a hand strap and shoulder strap, and is not nearly as deep when installed.

Thanks....I ordered one last night, and felt like a dunce trying to navigate their site.

D

ddk

www.camadapter.com

What am I missing, the link is taking me to a site for camera to microscope adapters, I don't see anything about wrist straps.

Mark K

Same to me. Local dealer offers me a package of A900 with grip and 24-70 at 4499 USD. Cannot make up my mind and my next wedding shoot is on coming Sunday. I should probably take up a 5D II or D700 intead of A900

Terry

If the grip is $55. I'll take 100 of them and open a shop selling them for $100. ea. on e-bay :ROTFL:

I think you mean $55. for the grip strap right?
My bad...We had just been talking Camadapter and I thought he was talking about the strap

douglasf13

Same to me. Local dealer offers me a package of A900 with grip and 24-70 at 4499 USD. Cannot make up my mind and my next wedding shoot is on coming Sunday. I should probably take up a 5D II or D700 intead of A900
If it makes you feel any better, I paid over $5k US for that gear, and it still seems worth it.

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Ladies and Gents,

thanks so much for your advise and links to dealers.

I just orderd it as a starter kit with vertical grip, 24-70 and 70-400.

@Eion, yup, Allison is very helpful and in deed makes an effort to match prices. Not the very cheapest, but this I don't care about, it's a family run business and I rather be known to someone in case I have trouble with gear, than to deal with a telecenter customer service internet only company.

Gear is on stock and should be here next week. Christmas in June. :D

Eoin

Good on you Georg:clap:, another one jumps off the fence and joins our sony group here. I'm sure you'll be impressed with the value for money.

Allison is lovely to talk to:thumbs:, she makes you feel very welcome as a customer and not an inconvenience like so many of the mail order stores.

All you need now is a nice fast CF card, there are some 16gb extreme III 30mb/s for £70 or extreme IV 16gb 45mb/s for £142 on Amazon at the moment which I'm trying to make my own mind up on. Seems to be reasonable value compared to Irish prices.

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Thanks Eoin,

it is a dangerous world. I could not resist and after seeing Alberts results, I just had to order the 135mm as well, what a superb optik! At a glance, and from paper specs and pictures here, likely best of breed!

As for cards, I have a bunch of 8GB sandisc III extreme, i'll see first how they perform before buying more of them.