The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How much of PP for GX and GRD?

sagar

Over the years, I have seen two school of thoughts when it comes to post processing an image. Some people think, you are a better photographer if you need minimum PP on the other side some think PP is part and parcel of digital processing. In one way or the other this also relates to capabilities of the digital gear used while shooting. Now I have seen these comments specifically for Ricoh GRD and GX models where people say you need to do "lots" of PP work to get a real good image out of these two cams.

I am looking forward to see feedback from the people who know these cameras well if I can say that. How much time do you invest on PP? Are most of the images straight out of the camera are as presentable as the canon p&s boxes? or PP is a "must" part of the workflow?

simonclivehughes

Sagar,

That's almost like asking "How high is up?" It depends so much on how you expose the images in the camera and what you expect as a final image. For example, the better the inital exposure, the less you worry about correcting in PP for deficiencies in the image. What your final output is to be will also dictate what you do in PP to achieve it. I always shoot RAW, so at a minimum, I run it through Adobe Camera RAW, (and typically) adjust exposure, contrast, fill, clarity etc, and perhaps WB, and then bring it into CS3 for any dodging/burning or changes from colour to B&W etc.

Does the GRDII which I now have (and the GRD before it) require any more processing than my D-LUX 2 or my Panny TZ3 P&S? Again, it depends on the image. In a very general sense though, I find I worry less about chrominance noise with the GRDII than I do with the D-LUX 2, hence less PP for this issue.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Cheers,

sagar

Thanks Simon, it does helps :)

Let's make it simpler, If I take a shot in "good lighting" conditions I know most of canon P&S have that "wow" factor straight out of the camera in jpeg. Can we generalize same for GDR and GX100? I am refering to general P&S "SNAPS" and not a photographic creation from the art prspective. Why I am asking this, first, I think it give very rough estimate of camera's builtin processing capacity to create that "wow". or do I must follow pp work for normal snaps to?

Secondly, I am sold on GX100 and just wondering if family members can use it as a P&S :D My wife uses sony T20 and she loves those colors do we get such wow images straight out of camera from Ricohs?

M

Mitch Alland

Sagar, the question isn't really answerable in terms of how you posed it as it depends what your after: a quick print of a snapshot or a fine, expressive print. It's really the same as with film and darkroom printing: you could either get machine-made prints made by dropping your negatives off at the corner drugstore versus having them printed at an (expensive) custom lab or printing them yourself in your own darkroom with extensive burning and dodging.

For example you cannot get a picture like the following one without post-processing, no matter what camera (sorry for reposting this picture but I think it's a god example to make this point):

ISO 800

—Mitch/Bangkok
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10268776@N00/

Last edited:
M

Mitch Alland

Thanks Simon, it does helps :)

Let's make it simpler, If I take a shot in "good lighting" conditions I know most of canon P&S have that "wow" factor straight out of the camera in jpeg. Can we generalize same for GDR and GX100? I am refering to general P&S "SNAPS" and not a photographic creation from the art prspective. Why I am asking this, first, I think it give very rough estimate of camera's builtin processing capacity to create that "wow". or do I must follow pp work for normal snaps to?

Secondly, I am sold on GX100 and just wondering if family members can use it as a P&S :D My wife uses sony T20 and she loves those colors do we get such wow images straight out of camera from Ricohs?
Sagar, now that you pose the question in these terms, the answer is "yes", you can get beautiful JPGs straight out of these cameras. Indeed, the B&W JPG of the picture above is also good, but just not as dramatic and expressive as the one above.

—Mitch/Bangkok
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10268776@N00/

Last edited: