The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Warming Polarizer or Neutral

kuau

Workshop Member
In the market for a 77mm Polarizing Filter for my Sony A900 / CZ 16-35mm and CZ 24-70mm lens.
I shoot mostly now in Northern Arizona, I have been looking at the following filters:
Hoya 77mm (Moose) Warm Circular Polarizer Glass Filter
Singh-Ray LB Warming Polarizer
Sing-Ray LB Neutral Polarizer
or..
Sony's CZ T* Polarizer.

Any thoughts?

Steven

Eoin

The only one I know anything about is the Sony CZ T* Polarizer, it's a very slimline filter, the knurled front edge turns quite easily. It seems no thicker than the standard Sony CZ T* clear protection filters so vignetting should not be any different.

kuau

Workshop Member
Neutral and warm up in the RAW converter precisely to taste?
Ben so no need for the "warming" polarizer? Just do it in PP?

What is your opinion on neutral graduated filters these days?
No need anymore because of Exposure Blending and HDR?
Or.. Still something to have and use.

Steven

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I hate those grad filters and yes really no need anymore since we can do a lot of it in C1, LR and PS. Really if anything better off with a HDR set. The grad filters never hit the correct spots half the time or maybe better said don't fit the shape of the scene very well.

douglasf13

Steven, I would take a look at Nikon Polarizer II filters. They are slim, relatively neutral in color, and are multicoated on all four lens surfaces, which is rare. Also, like Singh Ray, they let in more light than other polarizers. I've used everything from Hoya to B+H, and Nikon are my favorites.

Dale Allyn

I still use grad ND filters because I hate blending two different RAW conversions as a single image (all of this blending that is becoming so popular these days feels like "Frankenphoto" to me. :) , but sometime we need it. I'm OK with an exposure taken for the sky and one for the rest of the image when that is the only or "best" approach. But if I can capture the scene the way I want it with one exposure I feel better about the image, and find the PP work more enjoyable. This type of preference is really more of a personal one, and dictated by one's view of how much post processing is appropriate, comfortable, etc.

All that being said, like Guy, I hate the grad. NDs and holders too. They're kind of a pain sometimes, so I may tend look for scenes that allow me to avoid them even though they're in my bag. ;)

I agree with the others' comments about using a neutral polarizer and controlling color temp at the RAW level.

picman

In the market for a 77mm Polarizing Filter for my Sony A900 / CZ 16-35mm and CZ 24-70mm lens.

Steven
I use the CZ T* polarizer and have no complaints. However you have to be careful when using it with wide angle lenses. Depending on the position of the sun the effect can be dramatically different on one side of the picture compared to the other side and this is not always so clearly visible when taking the shot.

Cheers, Bob.