The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

rollei 6008AF lenses

lowep

Are all Rollei 6008AF-"compatible" lenses equal or are some more compatible than others?

Or to be more specific: do standard functions of the 6008AF such as focus confirmation and TL metering work just as well with a veteran country and western Rolleiflex 80mm f2.8 Planar HFT (non PQ?) as with its sexier (isn't this what the "S" in PQS stands for) modern city cousins.
:confused:Or not?

The beauty of this open system is that it is compatible with a lot of different lenses. Maybe I am not so compatible, as I am having trouble figuring out what works and what doesn't - not only with lenses.

So far I have found out that the only prism finder with a diopter is the 90 degree telescopic finder - but some suggest it is just a bungled toy better used as a paperweight than a professional tool. Is this right?
:bugeyes:
Not to mention the Rollei 6000 film holder that is compatible with the 6008 AF - providing the film is 100asa. Or have I misunderstood this too?
:ROTFL:
Hence my concern about finding out which lenses do what - preferably before I go bankrupt.

schweikert

I used to shoot a lot with 2 6001 bodies, 50, 80, 150 manual lenses, 45 degree viewfinder and a couple 120 backs. Virtually everything in the 6000 series is compatible, lenses to bodies, bodies to lenses. Some functions of course are lost with a manual focus lens on an AF body. But the lens mount is the same regardless.

I never used the 90 viewfinder, seemed awkward at best. The 45 vf makes for a perfect holding position. There are 3 types of filmbacks (beyond 120/220) the regular filmback fully detaches from the body, a back specific to the 6003 (So if film was loaded you had could not remove the filmback until the roll was finished. Few of those though.) which was only a covering over the film insert, and also a 645 back.

You should have focus confirmation with a manual lens on the AF body. TL metering I do not know. But I'm sure you can find the brochure PDF for the AF body which should have all those specifics.

The PQ lenses go to 1/500, PQS lenses go to 1/1000.

I am not aware of any newer filmback that was specific to the AF body. It used the same standard filmbacks. The 645 filmback was nice at first which I used a lot but found to be more of a pain than benefit of extra frames.

lowep

Thanks for the useful input John, as you suggest I found the PDF brochure for the Rollei 6008 AF body that had this to say: "Focus indication in conjunction with non AF-lenses down to Rollei.ex SLX (1974)" so now all I need to do is find out if this just goes for Rollei lenses or also compatible Zeiss and Schneider lenses, and which ones were made before or after 1974. I guess that means focus indication will work with all PQ lenses but am not sure about non-PQ lenses.

Stuart Richardson

Yes, focus confirmation will work. Metering will work with HFT lenses, but you need to stop down to your working aperture. The magazines are another issue. The 6008 series had magazines where the ISO is marked on the back, so if you use a back from an older or cheaper camera, it will still work, but it will default to ISO 100. Hasselblad has the same thing with the 200 series -- you can use an A12 back, but it was made to be used with E12. The way around it is identical -- exposure compensation. The 6008 AF has exposure correction from -4 1/3rd to +2EV, so you can just set that as your ISO. That would mean you can have a range of ISO 25 to 2000 with the straight 6000 back. I believe the 6008 back gives a range or 6 to 6400 or so....

Geoff

FWIW, the Rolleis are very tactile cameras: the system works and is very flexible, but as they adjusted over time, complications come up - these complications seem confounding on the 'net or in words, but if you just take the camera and use it, it is very simple to figure out. They are almost dumb that way - they just make sense when you have them in your hand. Maybe that's just plain smart.