The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Conflicting Infos on CZ and G lenses

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
May be someone can clarify that.

Reading on photozone about some lenses: http://www.photozone.de/sony-alpha-aps-c-lens-tests

the chap mentions for CZ and Sony lenses that they are NOT sealed at all. My dealer mentioned them to be sealed, in my case the 24-70 and 70-400, but it would not be mentioned explicitly.

I really ponder about that. If they should not be dust and splashwater sealed, what would be the point having a sealed body if you can not walk around in rain with it?

So what is your knowledge on that matter? Thanks!

Terry

I can't imagine how the 24-70 could be considered to be sealed as it extends when zoomed.

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Technically this is no problem. My Zuiko Digital 50-200 f2.8 extends the same way and you can clean it under the running tap, no problem! Did that often enough.

Dale Allyn

I can't imagine how the 24-70 could be considered to be sealed as it extends when zoomed.
Terry, the Canon 24-70 is also a zoom with external movement when zoomed, but is considered to be "weather-sealed" when attached to an appropriate body and sporting a filter on the front. Of course, this isn't water-proof, but simply sealed from dust and water spray, etc.

I don't know how or if this applies to the discussion vis-a-vis Sony's lens, but I thought I'd through it in as a data point.

edwardkaraa

Strangely Sony does not advertize any lens as being weather sealed. However, there was a report a while ago from a photographer who shot Paris-Dakkar with an A900 and 24-70 and it seems the camera/lens combination withstood all the abuse of dust and rain.

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Heck, I have contacts to management of Epson, HP, Olympus, Nikon, Canon, Sinar, Phase One, and Leica, but not Sony :ROTFL:.... I would love a statement from them on that.

Must make some phone calls next week.

Last edited:

edwardkaraa

Also it is interesting to note that sealed Canon lenses have visible rubber seals on the mount side, none of my Sony lenses have these. They may very well be water and dust resistant to a certain extent, but I don't think up to the level of Canon's L glass.

I personally do not care about weather sealing. Rubber seals tend to dry with time and leave marks and debris. Any situation that requires weather sealing is no good for me photographically speaking. If I was a sports photographer or a photojournalist, I'm sure I would have appreciated it though.

Last edited:

Dale Allyn

Agreed, Edward. The rubber seal at the mount is meaningful. We can get away with a lot if we use some common sense, but the Paris-Dakkar or Burning Man are pretty harsh tests for digital kits. I wish that the makers would give us weather-sealing (of a Series 1 or better class) on the more compact bodies which sell in the $3K U.S. range. Some of use want smallish bodies and weather sealing. Charge an extra $500 if needed, for an "AW" option – and give us the seals on the lenses to complete the package.

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
I don;t remember the name of product/company, but if memory serves, there was something where you could completly seal your lenses.

Hmmm.... or may be I mix that up with body armor....

carstenw

I don;t remember the name of product/company, but if memory serves, there was something where you could completly seal your lenses.
Zip-Loc has a nice product for that. Or do you mean with the front remaining open?

Seriously, it is a bit odd that Sony doesn't make this info easier to come by. After seeing shots like this I cannot believe that the 24-70 is not sealed, so why do they make it so hard to find?

Eoin

I've always understood the lenses are not weather sealed, but as others have mentioned about the photographer shooting the Paris Dakkar rally with the a900 and some Sony/Zeiss lenses in some pretty rough conditions with out (at this time) problems.

It gives me confidence in the durability of the equipment should I find myself caught out, but I would not be bravado and think it could resist everything.

link for Paris Dakkar article herehttp://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=pl&u=http://www.swiatobrazu.pl/sony_dslr_a900_na_rajdzie_dakar.html&ei=rpkjStGyFsirjAfGs-TCBg&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://www.swiatobrazu.pl/sony_dslr_a900_na_rajdzie_dakar.html,2%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den-us