The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony Cable release

Terry

On the A900 when you go to drive mode you can choose the self-timer OR mirror lock-up OR remote cable release. :wtf:

So, seeing as you can only pick one and not a combination of two what do you think is best for shooting on a tripod? :angry:

BackToSlr

On the A900 when you go to drive mode you can choose the self-timer OR mirror lock-up OR remote cable release. :wtf:

So, seeing as you can only pick one and not a combination of two what do you think is best for shooting on a tripod? :angry:
Remote release in the menu is for the IR remote control. With Cable release it functions simply as a shutter press. It will function in whichever drive mode you put. :)

Cheers,

Nitin

Terry

Thanks,

Sony doesn't do the users any favors in product labeling. The cable release is called the "Sony Remote Commander" :p

terry

Terry

When you use the 2 seconds timer, it acts also as mirror lock up, with or without cable release.
I guess I need to go back and read the manual. Last night when I was using it on the 2 second timer it sounded like it might be doing the lockup when you pressed the shutter but when I read Reichman's field test on LL he said this

"Another annoying aspect, given how useful this could have been, us that there is also a 2 second self timer release, but there's no way to combine this with mirror lock up, since these are found on mutually exclusive settings in the Drive menu setting.

Come on Sony! This is almost as bad as the design faux pas usually found from the other guys. Doesn't anyone ever actually ask photographers to field test these things before committing to production? The difference between good and great is when you sweat the small stuff, and this is all small stuff."

Edit:
Yes I should have started with the manual:

After you press the shutter button, the shutter will be released about two seconds. This is convenient to reduce the camera shake because the mirror moves upward before shooting.

Thanks Edward!

Last edited:

carstenw

After you press the shutter button, the shutter will be released about two seconds. This is convenient to reduce the camera shake because the mirror moves upward before shooting.
The mirror always moves up before shooting! The question is when :) You could take the lens off and look in as it takes the photo to get the truth. I wonder if Michael Reichmann had an earlier firmware version?

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
There sure is room for improvement. When using the cable release, on pressing the shutter the mirror goes up, until you press again. In addition I would love to see a timing where you can freely assign a time frame until the shot is taken.

docmaas

Nice remotes available on ebay

I have purchased two ir remote releases and an intervalometer from ebay. I purchased two in case one goes bad but they are very convenient. They mount on the flash shoe and plug into the remote socket on the camera. You can remove the box from the shoe and use it as a corded release or you can use the included ir remote and use it without the cord. BTW one did not work out of the box but was quickly replaced by the seller.

I have yet to use the intervalometer.

Mike

douglasf13

The problem is that, for some reason, when you use the included IR commander with the 2 sec delay button, it doesn't use mirror lock up. The 2 sec mirror lock up only works when activated from the body.

Braeside

Apparently the IR commander is only designed for taking self portraits of groups when you all stand in front of the camera, (note the IR sensor is on the front of the camera).

They figured that the 2 sec mode button on the IR commander was to allow you to put the commander out of sight before the shutter fired. It doesn't put the mirror up until it fires to allow the AF to work if someone moves. (This is what I read somewhere else and I suppose it makes sense).

However, if you want to use the built-in 2 sec timer (which does have MLU), then you need either a wired remote (Sony or 3rd party) or one of those el-cheepo eBay wireless (not IR) remotes which have a much better range than IR commander and you can be behind the camera (or anywhere else).

I'm not apologising for Sony, just explaining the practicalities. We have been up against this since the A700 came out with the same logic.