The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Aperture & A900

J

Jamesmd

Hi,
Anyone using aperture for their process ? any thing I should know to get the best ?

Thanks

James

jonoslack

Hi,
Anyone using aperture for their process ? any thing I should know to get the best ?

Thanks

James
Hi James
I use it - as for what you should know?

It produces very slightly less detail than Capture one, but the colour and 'feel' is (in my opinion) better than with any other converter.

J

Jamesmd

Thanks .

Any settings change I should do ?

what color space do you have on camera ? and raw settings on aperture ?
:eek: sorry for the avalanche .

cheers
James

jonoslack

Thanks .

Any settings change I should do ?

what color space do you have on camera ? and raw settings on aperture ?
:eek: sorry for the avalanche .

cheers
James
Hi James
I haven't changed anything - I have the Camera set on Adobe, but I'm not sure that's relevant fro RAW anyway.

I shoot the Sony on 'daylight' rather than AWB for everything outside, and use the defaults in Aperture.

Sometimes I convert the ARW files to DNG files first (they're smaller, and I can't see any other differences).

Braeside

There are some nice plugins for Aperture - Nik software's Viveza and their mono conversion filter silver efex. You can but their set of five filters as a bundle for Aperture (though buy from USA not Europe)

Jono's going to tell you to use daylight white balance in your camera at all times outdoors if you shoot RAW, and I would agree.

Braeside

I decided it was time to invest in NIK software's set of 5 plugins for Aperture. I was shocked to see how much more that the European website was charging.

It was 299€ and there was no discount coupon system. = approx £262

The USA site price was $299 but I had a discount coupon for 15% off that price. With PayPal's currency conversion that came to a total of £162, a saving of £100. I don't know how they justify that, even with VAT at 15% in the UK.

The only problem was how to purchase from the USA site (I am not paying for a boxed product just activation codes for the products, so why not?).

Eventually I got round it by putting in my UK address, but using Arkansas as the State and USA as the Country. Didn't use CA as the State otherwise USA Sales Tax would have been charged. However they then wanted a valid USA phone number - I put in their telephone number and it let me order with PayPal. PayPal provided them with my full UK address etc.

J

Jamesmd

Yes Niksoft are great , I have them . really great .

The new thing in my workflow is the camera , and how each camera has its secret , and you all have more experience than I do with it , any specs are welcome .

Cheers

James

jonoslack

Yes Niksoft are great , I have them . really great .

The new thing in my workflow is the camera , and how each camera has its secret , and you all have more experience than I do with it , any specs are welcome .

Cheers

James
Well, my A900 sneaked into my Aperture workflow without any trauma at all, and the files are lovely.

Switch it on and enjoy!

J

Jamesmd

Sorry , but one more .

Do you use dynamic range ? if you do what's best ? standard ?

Thanks

James

mjm6

Folks,

I have a few questions about raw conversion for the a900 based on this thread, so I thought I'd revive it a little.

I thought DRO only applies to JPG output from the camera? Does it affect the RAW files?

Also, I believe that the WB setting does not affect the information in the RAW file, except to tell the converter what the camera saw as white when the shot was made, if you choose to use it. If not, you can always go with the daylight setting in the converter and nothing will be different. Does the a900 treat WB differently than other cameras in this respect?

Thanks,

---Michael

douglasf13

Folks,

I have a few questions about raw conversion for the a900 based on this thread, so I thought I'd revive it a little.

I thought DRO only applies to JPG output from the camera? Does it affect the RAW files?

Also, I believe that the WB setting does not affect the information in the RAW file, except to tell the converter what the camera saw as white when the shot was made, if you choose to use it. If not, you can always go with the daylight setting in the converter and nothing will be different. Does the a900 treat WB differently than other cameras in this respect?

Thanks,

---Michael
Sure thing. DRO+ does not affect RAW directly, but it does affect the camera's histogram, because the camera's histogram is based off of jpeg output. If you shoot RAW with DRO on, you may be lead to underexposure, because the camera will have a nice, wide histogram due to the DRO affecting it, but, when you load the RAW into your converter, it may be underexposed more than you realize.

The A900's WB is treated like every other camera. The thing is, your RAW converter's daylight WB setting may be different than your camera's daylight WB setting, since there is no real standard.

mjm6

Douglas,

OK, thanks for the clarification... I didn't realize that the exposure would be based on DRO adjusted histogram, but I understand how that makes sense to do that.

The WB is an issue for every camera/converter combination, but my experience has been (with Canon 5D and 5DmkII) that the 'as shot' color balance is often the one that seems to work for me the best in my shooting. I'll look into that a bit more with the a900 and see how well things work.

Thanks,

---Michael