The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

purple highlights

Arjuna

It looks like there may be some chromatic aberrations on the edges of the structure protecting the microphone?

J

Jamesmd

the edges of the mic suspension are purple , some times I have that and some I don't , is this because highlits are aout of focus and lens does that ( it has a name I imagine , distortion or .. )
james

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Sensor flare perhaps.
If you have C1, try, under the lens correction tab, "Purple Fringing".
-bob

J

Jamesmd

does having a VU filter on anything to do ?

I'll try C1

Thanks

James

douglasf13

does having a VU filter on anything to do ?

I'll try C1

Thanks

James

A UV filter may very well be an issue. When I received the A900, I noticed more aberration with UV filters compared to my APS-C cameras (and I never used UV filters on MFDB,) so I quit using UV filters unless harsh conditions require it. These were expensive Heliopans, BTW. I don't really want to open this can of worms on the debate regarding whether we should take off UV filters or not, but you may want to test it for yourself.

edwardkaraa

A UV filter may very well be an issue. When I received the A900, I noticed more aberration with UV filters compared to my APS-C cameras (and I never used UV filters on MFDB,) so I quit using UV filters unless harsh conditions require it. These were expensive Heliopans, BTW. I don't really want to open this can of worms on the debate regarding whether we should take off UV filters or not, but you may want to test it for yourself.

That is interesting Douglas. I was assured by Zeiss that high quality UV filters do not cause any visible image degradation and they even recommended using one in order to avoid cleaning the lens front element. They recommended B+W and Heliopan (obviously because they use Schott glass, which belongs to Zeiss).

J

Jamesmd

And what about a shylight , would that be better for protection ?

I'll try same shot same conditions Without the UV.

Cheers

James

J

Jamesmd

I imagine if we want quality the best is nothing on the lens if not needed , and take care as we allways have , no ? ;)

James

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
All filters introduce some degree of image degradation.
if you insist, a B+W 010 MRC is one of the least offensive.
-bob

J

Jamesmd

ok, back to the store tomorrow , couldn't we have chosen a cheaper hobby :thumbup:

Thanks
James

douglasf13

That is interesting Douglas. I was assured by Zeiss that high quality UV filters do not cause any visible image degradation and they even recommended using one in order to avoid cleaning the lens front element. They recommended B+W and Heliopan (obviously because they use Schott glass, which belongs to Zeiss).
After being brow beaten by the likes of Thom Hogan and Iliah Borg in regards to UV filters hurting IQ**, I still resisted removing them for a while. However, when I received the A900, I was just running around the house firing test shots wide open on a couple of primes, and I noticed some shots were a bit soft with some purple fringing in the highlights. I removed my Heliopan multicoated UV filters, and the problems were gone. I haven't really done a scientific test, nor have I tested things since that day, but it was enough to push me over the edge. Now I just use them in harsh conditions.

Please, don't take my word for it, though. Try it out. Granted, I am a bit skeptical of Zeiss' position on this, because who knows what real reason they have for such a recommendation? However, I may just be crazy :D

note:
**there are some Nikon telephotos that actually come with a protection filter, and the lens design takes that into account.

edwardkaraa

I have been using UV filters for at least 27 years so it's going to be difficult to quit this bad habit :D

In my own experience, I have seen some flare caused by the filter in extreme backlighting conditions, and also some mirroring of the light sources in night shots. I have never noticed an increase in CA, so it would be interesting if someone could do a controlled test. Anyhow, I still prefer the security of the filter and willing to live with a small loss of IQ.

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
ok, back to the store tomorrow , couldn't we have chosen a cheaper hobby :thumbup:

Thanks
James
Yeah, but propper cables make around 5% of the total costs that a recording setup comprises. The Dynaudio Air are like the A900 in the DSLR world, you would not have a cheapo cable running to your console either.

;)

P.S.
On another note, ahem, can I just say, as a friendly observation, from musician to musician, from colleague to colleague, you might want to find a new spot for you dried flowers or whatever that pot is on your Air. It is not a good idea to place anything on them. This will have a unpleasant influence on your highs in the mix and your EQ would be messed up.

I was torn between the Air, Blue Systems and the LSR 4328P for my 5.1, ended up with JBL becuase I got a price hard to believe. Love the Air for classics a wee bit better. Beautiful speakers, very flat response.

Last edited: