The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Build quality of Sony HVL-F58AM flash

R

RichardL

There have been comments on this site about the build quality of the HVL-F58. Well, as I said when I joined this forum recently I am seriously thinking of migrating from Canon to Sony. Well, get this. I was doing a corporate job this evening and my Canon flash, the 580EX, literally fell apart as I put it on the camera: the bottom half separated from the top half exposing the circuitry:eek:. And this was at the start of the gig, I hadn't even fired off one shot.:thumbdown: So next time you guys complain about the F58, remember that maybe no one cam manufacturer makes their wares as tough as they once did. Oh, and this is my second Canon flash to go belly up. Sony here I come.

dhsimmonds

Hi Richard, welcome to the Sony forum and we look forward to your future posts with your Sony a900 and flash. The A/F Zeiss lenses are just great on this cam.:D

fotografz

Welcome to Sony "The One and Only". So far I haven't had any issues concerning the build quality of the F58 flash while shooting weddings, and don't expect any. But I beat the crap out of 2 580EXs before the Sony with no issues either. Like the 580EX and Nikon SB900 the F58 will shut down on you if pushed to hard.

The Sony takes some getting used to in terms of design, and there isn't anything like the STE-2 yet But it's a pretty accurate flash system. If you use Pocket Wizards like me you'll need an adapter because of the odd mount system. If anything, that may be a weak point if you use PWs a lot.

roweraay

Have shot Canon in the past and now shoot Sony and to be quite honest, I have not seen anything in Sony that would concern me, from a build quality standpoint. I had the A700 in the past and currently use the A900. I have the F58 too, which I have been using for almost a year now, with absolutely no problems whatsoever.