The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Custom settings for the A900

Terry

I'm now just about a month into using the camera and this weekend I am going to work on my custom settings. I know we all shoot different things but it would be cool to see how other users have set up their camera....for custom settings 1, 2, and 3.

For me, I wish I could turn on and off the image stabilization on the custom menus. In Arizona I screwed up several times in going from tripod to hand held and back again. Of course, I had it on for tripod and off for handheld :cussing:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I'm now just about a month into using the camera and this weekend I am going to work on my custom settings. I know we all shoot different things but it would be cool to see how other users have set up their camera....for custom settings 1, 2, and 3.

For me, I wish I could turn on and off the image stabilization on the custom menus. In Arizona I screwed up several times in going from tripod to hand held and back again. Of course, I had it on for tripod and off for handheld :cussing:
I never turned IS off for tripod, so this could not happen to me.

And all my tripod shots were ok. Am I doing something wrong?

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I think you will find that long exposures on a tripod with SSS turned on, will be blurred - anything much more than 1/10th sec.
However, if your tripod is at all wobbly....
Bill

dhsimmonds

I never turned IS off for tripod, so this could not happen to me.

And all my tripod shots were ok. Am I doing something wrong?
Peter, the "Steady Shot" works by detecting small movements and correcting for them. If no movements are detected then it continually produces it's own to try and get something to work with........thus the blurred images on a very steady tripod.

However if the tripod is less than absolutely sturdy, (and most easily portable tripods are not!) then the system will try and compensate for any movement and if your shutter speeds are high enough say 1/20 plus on a wide lens, then you probably won't get a blurred image.

Did you also use the "mirror-up" facility on the A900 on the tripod?