The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lunar Eclipse, Feb 20, Anyone get Images?

JDavila

I think It's safe to assume this was not done with a pocketable camera :thumbup: Simply fantastic shots.

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
Beautiful! Thanks Rob!

That's way better than what I saw. (and therefore way better than the images I took!)

T

TMGraphics

I got a few up to the halfway mark. I used too long a shutter speed on the latter of the images which caused some blur. There is always the upcoming on e in 2010!!

Thomas

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
Hahaha I know about blur! The first half I took didn't have enough light (and the lens goes past infinity) to even see if I was focused correctly. I wasn't. :(

Then, once I finally had a little lightening of the clouds, I could see well enough to focus, but it was still behind clouds and eclipsed, so even at ISO 3200, I was having a problem getting a slow enough shutter speed to register the moon, and a fast enough shutter speed to not cause blur.

Oh well, there is always next time. For what it's worth, last nights moon was incredible. The rain cleared the sky and surrounded by a few puffy clouds, it was gorgeous.

Last edited:

robsteve

Subscriber
I had probelms with the focus too. I ended up just focusing on the contrast of the edge of the moon against the black sky,

My second shot posted above, with the moon in eclipse, was shot at 1/3 of a second, f5.6 and 400 iso. Before the elipse, the moon was quite a bit brighter and I could shoot half a stop down and 1/1000th.

Once I got to the slower shutter speeds, it was hit or miss keeping the camera steady enough. I used a manfrotto Magic arm from the base plate of the camera to one of the triod legs to steady it a bit. Even with that, I had to wait a few seconds after the mirror went up on the prefire before pressing the cable release again for the second shot.

Robert

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
heh, because of the clouds, I played around a little knowing in advance that nothing spectacular was going to come out. My settings ranged from ISO 800-3200. f 1.8 - 2.8. and ss of 8" to a speedy 1/15. 200mm - 800mm.

My tripod was fine and rock solid. And on the Canon 40D, mirror lock-up button is also known as "Live view" :) [hey it works!], which also helped in focusing (at 5x and 10x). Made my life a lot easier too.

And the very best shot I have, looks like a generic moon shot (with just the faintest of faint hints that it's red.)