The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ben

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Ben - In his late 80s, goes to work here every week for a couple of hours.... mostly people ignore, ruhsing by, not even looking at him.

I can tell, because I stayed there for a good while, got some tea and had a chat with him, while observing people just treating him as if he ain't there.... severe and painfull arthritis in both hands, nevertheless, his music makes him forget it.... as best as he can.

Ben lives in poverty. - He deserves better! -

No doubt, once he was a very charming man, full of laughter and positive attitude, a musican by heart, bringing joy to so many people.

His wife is dead, his both sons died as well, he has no one left, is completly on his own.

From memory:

...."No one has time anymore, they are all just running and looking sad or angry.... There is too much money around, people were happy in former times, they had no money. Children were laughing and not shouting abuse at old people..... I do not understand this world anymore...."

Neither do I Ben.... neither do I.....

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Great character study Georg, and a sad commentary on how polite society has deteriorated...

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Yeah.... I think since I took this other picture here on the very same day, and this is only two years ago, more and more people are living in this kind of solitude as Ben, and also under the "Flag of Liberty", having lost their home that they payed for three decades or longer to a handfull of ..... well....

He got a long sentence, but I really think this is not enough, really not! He should work for people like Ben and the chap with no name in a sleeping bag, for the rest of his life, instead of parking his arse behind walls in relativ comfort, again payed by the same taxpayers he scammed in the first place, economic treason on the higest possible level! A mild sentence that is in my view!

Ben is in a much worse situation than Madoff with his 150 years, and he did not scam thousands of people into utter desperation, in opposite, he built this town, and should be treated with respect and live the rest of his days without worries and all available medical treatment, as good as it gets.

Ah well.... sorry for ranting, but it really sucks!

Last edited:

Scott G

Georg,

Thanks for posting this picture of Ben.

This forum is full of people (including myself) looking for the latest lens, camera, SW, HW, whatever_is_the_latest_and_greatest_whatever.

What we should be looking for is the perspective, character, and.....dignity that you have shown through Ben.

Best,

Scott

Last edited:

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Thanks Folks.

This gentlemen is on the streets of Dublin every day, selling his Bukowski-Kaffkaesque Prosa to people passing by.

Nothing is for granted!

Once he was a TV celebrity doing childrens programs, before the storms of life left their marks on his face and soul engraved forever. In Ireland the treatment of mentally ill people has been a disgrace for a long time, and he witnessed it first hand, electroshock treatments and more he was submitted to.

While his pain and suffering is obvious, by talking to him it was very nice to see his humor and dark sarcasm still sparkling, very much so.

Once he was known to offer a service to people on the streets. Proclaiming loudly that mobile phones destroy our families, sexlife and society as a whole, to the great amusement of the people of course, and then offering them to destroy their mobiles for them fora fee of 20 Euros on the spot. - He had a point though! -

Too often we just walk by and ignore these interesting people around us, missing a chance to share some human warmth and at the same time learn something from eachother. Got a big compliment from him on this shot, he liked it a lot.