The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Minolta 24-105

toddbee

Guys looking for a good starter lense for the a900. I have heard good things about the 24-105. Was wondering if they are true? any feedback would be great.
thanks,
todd

jsparks

I have the 24-105 and also have the Minolta 28-75/2.8 (supposed to be the same as the Tamron which should be easier to find at this point). I find the 28-75 to be an excellent lens on the A900. It's a bit bigger than the 24-105 but not much heavier. It's quite usable wide open and more uniformly sharp across focal lengths than the 24-105. The 24-105 is great at the wide end and even slightly sharper than the 28-75 at 28mm, but it seems pretty soft at the long end. The 28-75 is slightly sharper at 75 than 28, but the difference is small. I find the sharper, faster lens more generally useful for what I do than the greater zoom range. I'd love to have a Zeiss 24-70, but I think it would often stay at home because of how heavy it is. The 28-75 has been on the camera more than any other lens I have.

John

M

madcat207

You could always hunt down a good 28-135mm; they are excellent lenses, and not too expensive either..