The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

who has the 35. 1.4 G and sample images ??

ryc

not the best examples over there on dyxum. I just did a flickr search and found some really nice stuff.

gilgameshist

No one w/ the G !

OK, I have the original Minolta 35/1.4
I really like this lens, no complaints so far!
I don't remember when they got 'G' designation.

AFAIK, optically same as new the one w/ the exception of cut n shaped glass aspherical element( in the original one) as opposed to glass molded asph. element in the new one.

Ofcourse, the new one has rounded aperture blades, focus hold button and ADI.

A700 Minolta 35/1.4 f/5.6

A900 Minolta 35/1.4 f/6.3

center crop:

(extreme lower right) edge crop:

A900 image processed w/ Raw PhotoProcessor w/ default sharpening. No additional further sharpening. Detail crops are screenshots w/ Snapz Pro X.

MG

gsking

I have a couple samples posted in a previous thread. I have the Sony version, upgraded from the original Minolta version. I find them both excellent and functionally identical. Not sure why I even upgraded, but it was only $200, and frankly it's one of the only Sony lenses I like aesthetically due to the mottled black paint job. In fact, all my other glass is Minolta.

Yes, it's not razer sharp wideopen and it does have bokeh CA issues, but neither affect the lens in the slightest for its intended use.

Given that I'm shooting wider and wider now, I look forward to using it on FF someday. I just shot a cool portrait with the 11-18mm at 18mm (27 equiv.) . I figure the 35mm on FF would give some interest effects.

Greg

P

Paolo7780

These are some samples from mine

This lens is not built for lpm or MTF, soft wide open (even not tragic) suffers of lateral CA with stron contrast scenes. Pin sharp from f2.8.
But probably has the best clarity and 3D effect of the entire system and a wonderful bokeh. On FF is truly amazing and the smooth tones are perfect for BW conversion.

gilgameshist

A900 Minolta 35/1.4 @ f/7.1

center crop:

edge crop:

The image processed w/ Raw Photo Processor w/ only default sharpening.

MG

douglasf13

Thanks, MG. You know, as much flak as the 35G gets for "sharpness," I always seem to like the drawing style of it. If I decide that I need a 35mm prime with AF, I will definitely consider it.

Tex

Subscriber Member
This dog needs to go bye-bye

check out the review at LensTip.com.

"Taking into account the results of this test, I am surprised that Sony continues to produce this lens. It would be perhaps better if the lens was buried and forgotten with the late Minolta company. A new lens should be designed - a simpler, smaller and cheaper instrument with 2/35 parameters, which would please the whole crowd of small and big sensors owners. Let’s hope it will happen soon and with this hope we can end for now. The further description of Sony 1.4/35 performance, taking into account its exuberant price, would be like kicking an underdog… "

douglasf13

Sometimes the "look" of a lens transcends mtf scores and whatnot. BTW, I thought this was a rather ridiculous statement from the review:

"On the other hand, the differences are really huge which indicates the problems the A900 has when it comes to a good contrast and/or big number of details. The place for such an analysis it is in an A900 test, though, so we will stop here and return to the discussion about the optical properties of the lens. "

and this from the ZA 85 review
"It is interesting that the Sony company appears to be working to its own deterioration. One of the key arguments to encourage the users to buy Alfa was the presence of the cult Zeiss lenses equipped in autofocus. In view of such work of this mechanism, this argument is absolutely losing its purpose, since there are manual Zeiss lenses with the Nikon thread, which can be attached to Canon with a use of a proper adapter."

Naw, these guys aren't biased. lol!

ryc

Were these people abused by Sony when they were children? I think a review with those words carry no credibility.

I am a very picky person and will give my personal opinion when received. I have shot Zeiss before and own Leica so, needless to say, I know what to look for.

Here is what I expect at a minimum :

http://www.thecameraforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82

Regardless, my 35 arrives tomorrow via fedex sat delivery.

S

Shelby Lewis

wow... the zs looks fantastic. I've never owned either, but Jorrge I think your hopes will be dashed if you expect big aperture performance like the zs. As far as the 35G, I've owned the 35/1.4L for canon and it had a very similar rendering as the G, but was fantastically sharp even wide open. It was, in pre-sony times, my favorite lens in my lineup.

Could shoot a whole wedding with a 35 and an 85.

As far as the sony. I really like it's rendering. As said before, not that sharp wide open, but so beautifully smooth and depth-laden. I look forward to samples.

JimU

Not Available
here are a sample of my shots added to the dyxum lens db for the Minolta 35/1.4 G RS. Most of the shots were on the a100.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimu/sets/72157614033085257/.

I quite enjoyed this lens on the a100, on my a900, I struggle with the focal length as i did with my 24/2.8 on the a100. 35 on FF is just not my thing. but I keep it for what it is.

what it is not is macro sharp, wide open. for that, people who have not used this lens, and lens testers that just run it through sharpness tests bash it and don't look for what else lies beneath. i wouldn't consider it very sharp until f/5.6. But it is sharp enough for most things at f/2.8 and good for portraits at f/2.0. what it is, is a classic Minolta G lens in which all have consistent muted contrast and saturation and warm, rich & vivid colour, smooth tones and creamy bokeh, all of which there is no test for. no other lens in the Sony system <=35mm comes close in terms of bokeh.

you can't really appreciate this lens until you've used it for a while and find its strengths.