The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

minolta af 35 70

J

Jamesmd

Hi all , I went out for the flash and found a min Af 35 70 f4 in perfect conditions for 60€ , I tried it on the 900 and its very good , I'm very happy with it , and its very light .

Anyone uses this lens ?

Thanks

James

Do you have any info about the lens you can share (elements, groups, etc.)? I have to wonder if it is similar to the Leica 35-70/4. I vaguely remember hearing that Minolta was involved in that lens at some level.

dhsimmonds

I am not sure but I think that lens was designed and manufactured for Leica in their R mount. If so it is indeed a very good lens. Sorry Bill just noted that you got there first! I used the Leica version for about three years as a good light travel lens and it is so.....sharp!:thumbs:

J

Jamesmd

I'll find some info about it , but indeed it is a very nice lens , I'm really surprised.

thanks

peterv

Intersting thread. There seem to be quite a lot 35-70 Minoltas floating around these days. As for the 'Leica R version' I digged into this a little, and found this old thread:

http://www.photography-forums.com/minolta-md-leica-t13977.html

According to someone there:

Actually, the original non-macro MD Zoom Rokkor
is at least as good as the later plain MD versions of
which some have the additional 'macro' close-focus
feature and some have not. The first version, with
the Rokkor name and without close-focus feature,
is the one originally provided to Leitz as the Vario-
Elmar-R 35-70 mm 1:3.5. So were the later con-
stant-speed versions but not the still-later variable-
speed version.

This would be a manual focus lens. I'd like to find out more though, because the idea of getting an AF 35-70 Leica R for €50 is of course very tempting... :toocool:

Dyxum is also a good resource, and has quite a large database:

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/results.asp?IDLensType=3&offset=100

Kind Regards,

Peter

Let me know what you find out. I'm moving to Sony and I will very much miss the Leica 35-70/4. It is versatile and light and probably is what allowed me to stay with the DMR as long as I did.

peterv

Well, I digged a little deeper, and it seems there were at least three versions of the 35-70 R, all manual of course. From what I understand, the first version was designed, produced and rebadged by Minolta. Later Leica versions supposedly had better mechanical build quality and a none rotating front element.

So the dream of a cheap 35-70 AF R quality lense will most probably stay a dream. But who knows, Minolta may have put a lot of knowledge in the 35-70 f4.0 AF version. The reviews I read seem to point out that it's quite good, and a bargain, pricewise.

Peter

fotografz

Well, I digged a little deeper, and it seems there were at least three versions of the 35-70 R, all manual of course. From what I understand, the first version was designed, produced and rebadged by Minolta. Later Leica versions supposedly had better mechanical build quality and a none rotating front element.

So the dream of a cheap 35-70 AF R quality lens will most probably stay a dream. But who knows, Minolta may have put a lot of knowledge in the 35-70 f4.0 AF version. The reviews I read seem to point out that it's quite good, and a bargain, price-wise.

Peter
I owned both versions of the manual focus R 35-70/3.5 Vario Elmar. Note: these were f/3.5 lenses, not f/4. The first version was made in Japan by Minolta, and the second was made in Germany by Leica. The second was better build quality and featured a non-rotating barrel. I believe the coatings were updated on the 2nd also. These are not to be confused with the later R 35-70/4 Vario Elmar which is a different design.

If one were to convert a Leica R zoom for use on a A900, the better candidate may be R28-90/2.8-4.5 ASPH Zoom (if it can be converted). This is perhaps one of the finest performing mid-range zooms made by anyone. Build quality of this lens is astounding. Not priced for the feint of heart however.

J

Jamesmd

Hi .

Leica or not , I love this lovely little old lens ;)

here is a sample

Cheers

Last edited:

peterv

I owned both versions of the manual focus R 35-70/3.5 Vario Elmar. Note: these were f/3.5 lenses, not f/4. The first version was made in Japan by Minolta, and the second was made in Germany by Leica. The second was better build quality and featured a non-rotating barrel. I believe the coatings were updated on the 2nd also. These are not to be confused with the later R 35-70/4 Vario Elmar which is a different design.

If one were to convert a Leica R zoom for use on a A900, the better candidate may be R28-90/2.8-4.5 ASPH Zoom (if it can be converted). This is perhaps one of the finest performing mid-range zooms made by anyone. Build quality of this lens is astounding. Not priced for the feint of heart however.
Yes Marc, all very true. The R28-90/2.8-4.5 ASPH Zoom would be a very nice on the a900 indeed. Ah, when will I win the lottery :rolleyes:

Here's more of the same info:

http://nemeng.com/leica/019c.shtml

J

Jamesmd

Hi , a couple from this morning

cheers

Last edited:
J

Jamesmd

And one from yesterday , Monks where allways clever finding places :)

Rio Duraton , Sepulveda , Segovia , Spain

Last edited: