The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lake Como

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
This was originally a thread on Canon Travel Kit.
But once those beautiful images from lake Como came along, the thread developed a new purpose.
I move those posts here accordingly.

thanks
-bob

Last edited:

ftbt

Re: Canon Travel Kit

We leave next week for our house at Lake Como. I have a choice between a D700 with a 24-70 zoom and a 5DMkII with a Zeiss ZF 28/2.0 Distagon and a Contax Zeiss 35-70/3.4 Vario Sonnar. I decided on the Canon and the Zeiss lenses, (along with my trusty G9 as a back-up and a light weight Velbon carbon fibre tripod-w-ball head.) The Nikon body and lens are a lot heavier, and I can also shoot video with the Canon.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

We leave next week for our house at Lake Como.
Too bad for you! :ROTFL:

Seriously, what a beautiful place to have a house, PLEASE share some images!

And welcome to GetDPI!

ftbt

... Seriously, what a beautiful place to have a house, PLEASE share some images!
Here are a few in and around Lake Como taken last year, to give you an idea of the neighborhood:

A view of Bellagio and Lake Como from our front door:

Lake Como looking north from our upstairs patio:

A hydrangea in our garden:

A small barn across the meadow from our house:

Our small village, Grinate:

A deserted street in Griante:

Santa Maria Rezzonico, Lake Como:

Santa Maria Rezzonico:

Hillside vineyard in Valtellina, Northern Italy:

Entrance to vineyard restaurant in Valtellina:

All these were taken with a G9.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

I think that a workshop there would be just dandy!
-bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Actually, would pretty easy to do. Lake Como itself is a fairly expensive area to stay, but the train ride from Milan is less than an hour, and Milan is reasonable prices -- plus a lot of good shooting right there too!

Hmmmmm.....

ftbt

Actually, would pretty easy to do. Lake Como itself is a fairly expensive area to stay, but the train ride from Milan is less than an hour, and Milan is reasonable prices -- plus a lot of good shooting right there too!Hmmmmm.....
Lake Como can be expensive ... but it doesn't have to be. Certainly no more expensive than Milan. Actually, the further you go north up the Lake, (away from the city of Como), the more "affordable" it becomes ... especially if you stay on the eastern side of the Lake. I guess it depends on what you like: big city vs. the country-side. Personally, I would stay away from Milan. It reminds me of LA: hot and smoggy, a lot of traffic and congestion, and a small city center. You can always take the train into Milan for the day.

If you guys are half-way serious, I can certainly give you some ideas and scout-out areas and small (read reasonable) hotels. However, the ideal time to go would be outside the tourist season, say May or June or mid September through October.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

If you guys are half-way serious, I can certainly give you some ideas and scout-out areas and small (read reasonable) hotels. However, the ideal time to go would be outside the tourist season, say May or June or mid September through October.
I am serious. Guy and I need to talk, and will pull you into the loop, but maybe we can work this into next year's schedule -- Spring in Italy anyone?

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

Sure. Get it scheduled 4 months in advance so I can work my schedule.
I am still trying to do the Atlas mountains in January.
-bob

ftbt

A few more:

Another from our front door:

Sunrise over the Lake from our bedroom window:

Directly across the Lake: Varenna

Lake Orta in Piedmonte: isola San Guilo

Dale Allyn

They look good, but since Bob has extended an invitation....
I guess that settles it: we're all staying with ftbt as insisted. And the more ftbt posts, the more the idea makes sense! Great location, a guide familiar with the area...

Thanks for sharing your lovely scenery with us, ftbt!

W

wbrandsma

Your photographs bring back many wonderful memories for me. I went to Lago di Como for many years and stayed in the small town of Domaso up north.

And Jack, this area is certainly a superb location for a workshop :thumbup: