The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Going from 24-70 to 35

ryc

I have decided to move to primes and put the 24-70 up for sale. Even though the 24-70 is better than the 35 prime at 35mm, I much prefer to carry a smaller lens.

JT

edwardkaraa

Unfortunately, the 35G is a speciality lens, and does not really to correspond to the 35 setting on the 24-70. If I shot weddings and portraits, it would be an obvious choice. Still waiting for Sony to fill the wide-angles gap with 1-2 Zeiss lenses.

douglasf13

I've been considering selling my 24-70, too, because I'm enjoying shooting only with 50mm lenses. I've got the Sony 50, and I'm loading up on m42 50s, but I'm still hoping for a ZA 50. Marc has mentioned the ZF 50mm bokeh, which some think is unfavorable, but I don't mind it. Plus, a ZA design may be totally different than the ZF version a la the ZA 85. The Sony 50 is actually pretty good, although it doesn't quite have that Zeiss "pop."

douglasf13

Thanks. I've considered it, but when I say "pop," I'm referring to the Zeiss drawing style, which I've yet to see in any Sony/Minolta lenses. Plus, I do a lot of shooting at f2. My next lens will probably be the ZS 5mm.

J

Jamesmd

Hi , I returned it to store the day after , it's great but too heavy . I changed it for a ZC 80 1.4 and a Sony 50 1.4 . for specific shots and then found a min af 35 70 f4 for travel and general and I am very happy .

Cheers

James

Eoin

All the Zeiss ZA offerings have been relatively large and heavy to date, not that it is an issue for me.
I have my new Rokkor 58 f:/1.2 which I converted with a M42 chipped adapter. Seems very nice, I can stop down to f:/5.6 without too much difficulty in the view finder. Interesting lens for a bit of fun.

Mark K

There was one occasional I went for a wedding of my cousin, a photographer too, carrying only the Son 50/1.4, 85/1.4 and a 20/2.8. At that particular moment I wish I had brought a zoom instead.

fotografz

Here's hoping for at least one fast prime wide angle from Zeiss. The ZF 28/2 is pretty darnded good and something like that in AF would be most welcome. f/1.4 would be even better :thumbup:

Not really interested in stopping down either. Been there done that, and for my work it's too slow. Not since the Contax N Digital have there been a nice selection of Zeiss design auto focus/auto aperture lenses. But even after years on the market, there were no fast AF wide angles in the N system either ... so I don't have high hopes.

P

Paolo7780

The primes closer to "Zeiss look" in Minolta system are 28mm f2 and 35mm f2 but you have to be lucky to find them...

This is a shots from 35mm f2 @f2

A brilliant lens.

These from 28mm f2 RS, one of the sharpest lenses ever made.

With A900 I sold 35mm f2 and kept 28mm f2.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
The primes closer to "Zeiss look" in Minolta system are 28mm f2 and 35mm f2 but you have to be lucky to find them...
There is a 28mm f/2 on the UK eBay right now. Looks like it is not the (RS) ReStyled version with rounded aperture blades, but the optical formula is the same.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Minolta-AF-28-F2-28mm-Prime-Lens-Sony-Fit_W0QQitemZ250462523386QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_CameraLensesFilters_JN?hash=item3a50bacffa&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1690%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

I made the first bid at the starting price point, but I don't intend to bid it up further since I haven't got any Alpha body ... yet :angel:
You can give it a try and bid on it if you would like to get one of those f/2 wide angle primes. For images see post # 17.

ecsh

Jorge
Interested if you got the 35 as of yet? I have been looking at this lens as well.
Joe