The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A900 What I Learned Rancho De Las Golondrinas Photos Please Comment

MoJo

Registred Users
I took my new Sony and my 2 Zeiss lenses out Sunday, very hot and bright. Made lots of mistakes :mad:
1. Zeiss 135 is awesome, when i get the focus right.....
2. Depth of Field at 135 is very shallow, more so than I thought. f4.5 will not cut it for faces and hair, etc.
3. I blew out highlights, as you can see in the pics, but it was VERY bright. so will have to watch the metering a bit more.
4. be wary of the focus position for moving focus, something in the frame near my subject moved, and the focus shifted in an unwanted manner.
5. don't try shooting the 135 at 1/30th and f19:( that's what happens when your finger accidentally moves the wheel, and i wasn't paying attention! Otherwise, I love the colors. I shot at ISO 320 all day, and found no ill effects.

Amy other insights?

-Josef

Last edited:

douglasf13

Glad you're getting out with the new setup. Nice pics. For highlight metering, try defocusing the highlights that you want detail in and spot meter them at +2.5 EV, and you should be in good shape.

MoJo

Registred Users
Doug, i take it i can spot meter the highlights with the in-camera metering that way?

-Josef

douglasf13

Sure thing. Go into the menus and find "AEL Button." Choose the last option, which is spot meter AEL toggle. Now, when you're in multi-segment metering mode and you have a tricky highlight issue, set +2.5 ev compensation, aim at the highlight you want details in, and hit the AEL button. Your exposure will be locked, so be sure you hit the AEL button again when you'redone shooting the scene.

Or....you can shoot in M mode and just the camera to spot metering. :)

fotografz

Sure thing. Go into the menus and find "AEL Button." Choose the last option, which is spot meter AEL toggle. Now, when you're in multi-segment metering mode and you have a tricky highlight issue, set +2.5 ev compensation, aim at the highlight you want details in, and hit the AEL button. Your exposure will be locked, so be sure you hit the AEL button again when you'redone shooting the scene.

Or....you can shoot in M mode and just the camera to spot metering. :)
Great tip!

douglasf13

No problemo. I should mention that if you leave the AEL lock on, there will be a little star in both the VF and on the LCD reminding you that it is still engaged.

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Hi Josef...folks...

"2girls149".... very special!

I am also a newbiew to this fantastic piece of glas, below @f/1.8.... will take me some time to get the best out of it.

Thanks Doug! Wish I could have you beside me for a day or two. Would certainly ease the learning curve a lot!

As for insights... yeah, do not get too close to them birds, they like to pick at the reflections in the glas.... ;)

Last edited:

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
I have a very old native american soul.... probably was known as "Sneaks up without a sound" :ROTFL: ;)

Look forward to meeting with you Josef, let's hope we get some nice light.

Last edited:

MoJo

Registred Users
My gosh, that landscape is incredible, mr. sneaky-up soundlessly! I think we will have some fun shooting coming up!

-Josef

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Hi Josef,

;) Are you fine with speedboats? Reason I am asking is, weather permitting we could get one and take a trip around Arranmore, this way you get a much better impression of the weather beaten Island. Not sure if my man is there in September, as the season ends in August.

Hi Albert,

at the moment I am having nothing but useless stress. Frames and Mats from one of the very best, in fact museum grade quality, producers were cut to the wong size. Another delivery with mats only turned out with 200 wrong cut openings, and so on.... <shrugs> Going rough a rough patch I guess.

APY_JR

Sorry to hear George:(

I hope they take care of you quickly!

Last image is very nice also... great tonality you seem to be getting now!

Albert

MoJo

Registred Users
Hi Josef,

;) Are you fine with speedboats? Reason I am asking is, weather permitting we could get one and take a trip around Arranmore, this way you get a much better impression of the weather beaten Island. Not sure if my man is there in September, as the season ends in August.

Georg: Actually I am not a water person, (air-sign), I do like slow old ferry boats very much, but speedboats..... (gulp) http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/images/smilies/confused.gif

Also, you have seen my Aran Islands pics on my site, is there anyplace in addition or instead of Aranmore that might be more scenic, remote, photogenic? I did go to Inishboffin last trip....still nothing like the Aran Islands......

-Josef

J

Johannes01

Mmmm.nice shots.Hope you can bring us more fantanstic moments.