The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I confess....

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
My name is John and I'm a gear whore. I was at Popflash getting a Leica Leather strap and new body cap for the M3. After I had checked out I saw Tony had a really good deal on a demo GR-DII. So, I got it.

Mr. Rose is a major enabler. He let me know he was combing both orders, crediting the shipping on the first order and sending everything out today.

Well, I do need something to shoot while the M3 is off with Sherry K. :rolleyes:

Oh, is any body using the Voigtlander min 28/35 view finder with the GR-DII?

jonoslack

Hi John
It's easy to make these little slip ups . . . after a UK imaging show yesterday I seem to be the proud owner of a GX100, seems to be fun.
I haven't tried the viewfinder, but I'm sure that I've seen that others have.
I might even give the frankenfinder a bash on my GX100!
Good luck with your new toy

Terry

aaaah,
You are both making me feel better. I haven't bought a lens in almost 3 weeks.....only because I'm busy spending money getting my computer setup whipped into shape.

jonoslack

aaaah,
You are both making me feel better. I haven't bought a lens in almost 3 weeks.....only because I'm busy spending money getting my computer setup whipped into shape.
HI Terry
Did you get the HD version or the SSD version . . .
you HAVE got a macbook air haven't you?

Terry

HI Terry
Did you get the HD version or the SSD version . . .
you HAVE got a macbook air haven't you?
Neither,
The MacBook Air SSD version didn't arrive at the store before I left for Moab and I was a bit frustrated on the small screen size on working on images in Moab so I want a bigger screen on the Laptop.

So, I was all set to get a MBP this week and the day after they were announced the new models I read that they were going to move to Intel's new chip platform in June. I wouldn't normally care that much about a speed bump but it seems the new montevina chips could be pretty speedy with a faster front side bus (I'm not techy on this stuff).

All that being said, I am wiping all the cr*p off the MacBook hard drive and reorganizing all my image files which should free up close to 90gb and then I can get along for a few months with both a MacBook and 24" iMac.

Maggie O

I can't imagine Apple doing a new version of their laptops three months after a new rev release.

simonclivehughes

John,

I'm not using the 28/35 minifinder (although I've had one glued to my D-LUX 2 for years) but I do use my CV 28 VF (that i normally use with my M8 if the CV 28 Ultron is mounted) and it works fine.

Cheers,

Maggie O

Rumors.

I don't trust 'em.

That said, has Apple ever released new versions of a product that close together? Maybe there's a precedent?

Maggie O

John,

I'm not using the 28/35 minifinder (although I've had one glued to my D-LUX 2 for years) but I do use my CV 28 VF (that i normally use with my M8 if the CV 28 Ultron is mounted) and it works fine.

Cheers,
Simon, the FOV of the 28mm viewfinder matches 21mm lenses on the M8 and the M8 has a pretty decent set of 28mm framelines, which are closer to a 35mm lens on a 35mm film camera.. Was that a typo?

Terry

Rumors.

I don't trust 'em.

That said, has Apple ever released new versions of a product that close together? Maybe there's a precedent?
Normally I don't go on rumors either but they were right in that the MacBooks weren't due for an update (and notice they did not update for multi touch on those models), Steve Jobs made a strange reference at MacWorld about new products and what they had already announced in the first two weeks of the year and that there were 50 more weeks left. Each week since then there have been new products (I assume there will be a lot of stuff this year) and finally, I assume Apple won't be the last company to move to the new chipset.

In my case there was an easy way to solve my problem for the next couple of months so I decided it was worth waiting.

Maggie O

Wow, that's pretty interesting, Terry! The good news is that maybe I'll be able to swing getting a current model after the new chipset ones are released in June.

jonoslack

My son's new 17"MBP arrived the day the new models were announced (it was an insurance replacement, so there was no possibility of waiting).
Still, these updates are incremental, and it seems they don't really amount to that much - comparing our original 17"MBP to the new ones raises more of a shrug than a 'wow'.
I think it's easiest to buy what's available when you want it.
As for the macbook air - I used aperture on it for a few days in Cornwall - not too bad. I bought the HD version with the plan of putting an SSD in later (when they're cheaper and bigger, which they surely will be). The advantage of it is that it slips into the back of a Billingham Hadley bag together with a couple of M8 bodies and 4 or 5 lenses and is STILL easy to carry.

Terry

My son's new 17"MBP arrived the day the new models were announced (it was an insurance replacement, so there was no possibility of waiting).
Still, these updates are incremental, and it seems they don't really amount to that much - comparing our original 17"MBP to the new ones raises more of a shrug than a 'wow'.
I think it's easiest to buy what's available when you want it.
As for the macbook air - I used aperture on it for a few days in Cornwall - not too bad. I bought the HD version with the plan of putting an SSD in later (when they're cheaper and bigger, which they surely will be). The advantage of it is that it slips into the back of a Billingham Hadley bag together with a couple of M8 bodies and 4 or 5 lenses and is STILL easy to carry.
I am glad you are liking the Air (I'm still sure one is in my future). Since my MacBook still has a serviceable life (it is under a year old), doing a serious hard drive clean up, file reorganization and waiting is an easy option. If I had an old laptop that could only limp along I would not wait.

V

VladimirV

If you want a small and lightweight computer you can carry around all the time you should have a look at the Samsung Q1 Ultra. It is under 1kg, small and has a great screen with a batter life of 3-4h with normal and 6-8h with extended battery. I use it all the time and it works much better than a picture viewer or bigger notebook. While not as powefull it does a very good job when running photoshop etc.
I generally think that UMPC are much better than any notebooks if someone is travelling a lot and wants to take something small along that works well for storing pictures, email, internet, watching movies etc.

jonoslack

If you want a small and lightweight computer you can carry around all the time you should have a look at the Samsung Q1 Ultra
Hi Vladimir - I'm sure it's a fine machine, but if you're committed to Aperture - and your home machines are macs, then it's inconvenient to have a PC, added to which the airbook is a small machine with a good sized screen - nothing's perfect, but it seems to be a pretty good compromise.

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
No problem, I've got to get a MacBook soon. So it's useful information.....

Last edited: