The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax lenses on A900 is official.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Ummm... wake me up when they have a solution for N-mount lenses on Sony, preferably with working AF, will you :sleep006:
When I read the headline, I was kind of hoping for an A900 with the Contax 24-85. That would be some walkaround combo :D

edwardkaraa

I really don't see the interest for Contax N. They had only a few lenses, and apart from the 100 makro there isn't much to be desired. The ZA 24-70 is a better option than the 24-85 and ready available in alpha mount. So is the case of 16-35 vs. 17-35. What I miss from my old Contax line up are the 18/4, 28/2.8, 35/1.4, 50/1.4, 100/2.8 MP, 180/2.8, 300/4, 80-200/4, all of which are not yet available for Sony. My current ZA line up has only replaced the wide-standard zooms, and the 85/1.4 and 135/2.8 with better options.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Just nostalgia, Edward. I had an N1 on order after falling completely in love with the camera as well as that lens, when I found that digital was the future after all, and went with the Fuji S3 instead. Difficult to forget the N1 though. Together with the F6, it ranks at the top among SLR cameras in my book.

edwardkaraa

Yes, I see what you mean. Even though I was anti-AF during film days (and still am, though not as extremist as then :D) I do agree that the N1 was a masterpiece of design.

Eoin

I've often in the past thought of buying an N1 and some Zeiss N mount lenses, but I just couldn't bring my self to shoot film again. Anyway I feel that perhaps I have the best alternative now with the ZA's.

wayne_s

Edward,
Did you ever use the Contax N 85? Thinking of getting one and having it Conurus converted for my 1ds3 and using it as a 2nd 85mm portrait lens along with my 85L. I wouldn't care about corner performance which is one of its weaknesses and also wouldn't be using much wide open. It seems to have nicer bokeh than the MF contax 85 1.4 from the very few shots I have seen posted.

Eoin,
Have you posted any 58mm Rokkor shots with the A900 here? Interested in how that lens performs with the Sony colors.

edwardkaraa

Edward,
Did you ever use the Contax N 85? Thinking of getting one and having it Conurus converted for my 1ds3 and using it as a 2nd 85mm portrait lens along with my 85L. I wouldn't care about corner performance which is one of its weaknesses and also wouldn't be using much wide open. It seems to have nicer bokeh than the MF contax 85 1.4 from the very few shots I have seen posted..
Unfortunately, I haven't owned any N glass, but I did try the 85 on a Contax NX briefly as I was considering switching from Contax RTS to either the N system or to Canon digital, but finally decided for Canon. It is certainly a wonderful lens and very much unlike any other Zeiss 85. As you say very nice bokeh and the ultimate portrait lens. The ZA version is imho the sharpest 85 ever to come from Zeiss, and arguably from any brand (there is no way to know for sure but I do have this impression). However its rendition may be too harsh for women's or children's portraits.

douglasf13

It's considered by many to be the best super wide prime in existance. That's why they go fo a couple of grand used.

P

Paolo7780

Interesting... But only A350?
What about A900??

I'd like to adapt 25mm f2.8 Distagon, but I still have doubts about mirror collision...