The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss Distagon T* ZF (Nikon mount) with Sony A900

APY_JR

Well... I purchased an inexpensive Nikon lens to Sony A mount adapter from Ebay and am having good results so far with the 35mm Distagon T* 2/35 lens. The 25mm Distagon T* is okay... but not as good as the 35mm.

My trials so far are showing Vignetting with the Zeiss 100 Makro and the 50mm Makro. Haven't tried the 85mm yet but will soon.

So far I've just been able to focus in the viewfinder with no Focus indicator... but I have another adapter coming that will give me that option. The lenses meter just fine though.... although I have no F stop readout... so I have no idea what aperture I shot at except from memory:)

Here's a few test shots from a walk around yesterday with the 35mm and adapter on the A900:

Albert

Last edited:
Those are beautiful! Is the adapter glassless or does it have a lens in it, and can you achieve infinity focus?

Also, slightly off topic, what raw processor are you using?

D

ddk

hi Al,

I guess we all see differently, I noticed Bill's post only after starting to write mine. As you know I'm quite familiar with ZF lenses and I feel that you've lost something with this adapter. I thought that it had something to do with Sony, but now it makes more sense knowing that there's an extra element in the adapter. Still, its better than not having any primes to use at those fls.

APY_JR

Zeiss 85mm ZF with adapter

hi Al,

I guess we all see differently, I noticed Bill's post only after starting to write mine. As you know I'm quite familiar with ZF lenses and I feel that you've lost something with this adapter. I thought that it had something to do with Sony, but now it makes more sense knowing that there's an extra element in the adapter. Still, its better than not having any primes to use at those fls.
Hi David... I think it looks good:)
Here's 2 more shots with the 85mm f1.4 ZF with the same adapter... one at f5.6 and the second at F1.4.

Sharp as can be and I don't see anything lost at all.

Albert

D

ddk

You're right about the 85mm Al, its the 35mm images, just something is different and I can't put my finger on it; nothing to do with sharpness.

One thing about your samples, they make the Sony a lot more valid for me now that I know I can use my lenses on it, thanks for posting.

APY_JR

You're right about the 85mm Al, its the 35mm images, just something is different and I can't put my finger on it; nothing to do with sharpness.

One thing about your samples, they make the Sony a lot more valid for me now that I know I can use my lenses on it, thanks for posting.
Agreed David,

I was wondering what to do with all this great glass and was a little put off by only being able to use it on Nikon cams... (not that my D3 or even the Kodak are such a bad setups) It's just I felt I'd come to the end of the road with these lenses when I purchased the Sony until recently.
Now I see hope for my Sigma 12-14, 10.5mm DX fisheye, Tamron 90mm, etc...:)
Hopefully we'll see more adapters come out with yet better quality "infinite focus" glass.
That's really the only thing I can think of that might be putting you off to the 35mm samples.
I'll keep you informed when I receive the adapter that allows "focus indicator" function.

Albert

edwardkaraa

Great pictures, Albert!

Imho, it's impossible not to lose something with an inexpensive adapter using a generic piece of glass that works with all the lenses. It does change the optical formula of the lens unlike a flat filter. The results look really sharp though, which makes me wonder how much sharper these lenses would have been on the A900 without this extra glass element.

APY_JR

Great pictures, Albert!

Imho, it's impossible not to lose something with an inexpensive adapter using a generic piece of glass that works with all the lenses. It does change the optical formula of the lens unlike a flat filter. The results look really sharp though, which makes me wonder how much sharper these lenses would have been on the A900 without this extra glass element.
Hi Edward!

Well thanks!... snapshots... but I made sure I was on a tripod to give the adapter my best effort in stability.

I think you are probably on target with the additional glass (two pieces actually). I took them out to make sure they were nice and clean and took this next shot without the glass in the adapter with the 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.
Incredibly sharp but of course the vignetting doesn't work very well with full frame... and no infinite focus... which is fine for macro work.

A year ago I looked for an adapter for these lenses and couldn't find one... now there are a few available and I think that number will grow!

Albert