The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Exmor R now a reality

edwardkaraa

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0908/09080601sonycmos.asp

Very interesting indeed. As a complete idiot in electronics, I wonder why no one thought of that before. It makes only sense that the photo-cells should be just below the micro-lenses, with the electronic circuitry on the back side. Actually I thought all sensors worked effectively this way :D

Anyway, it's very good news for Sony DSLR owners as I'm sure the coming models, maybe the A1000, will be equipped with such sensor. :thumbs:

philip_pj

Edward, I just read some chat about this technology over at dpreview; apparently it is designed for, and works best with physically small sensors, as large (eg APS-C and FF) sensors have a very small area devoted to the wiring layer. So improvements would not be expected to be significant in large sensors - that was the gist of it.

There was also mention of Panasonic using a similar sensor design later this year; just passing this on, I am totally ignorant of the subject but the bit about double the light transmission at low light levels caught my eye.

Quentin_Bargate

But think what it might mean for how many pixels one can squeeze on to a 35mm full frame sensor and still have low noise / high ISO capability. It would open the way for 40mp+ 35mm size sensors.

Quentin

V

Vivek

This sensor isn't limited to tiny formats. When it progresses to full frame and beyond, it is going to be really exciting.

Sony first introduced the EXMOR-R in their video cams.

Now, P&S, next is APS-C and then full frame..:thumbs:

P

panyawong

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0908/09080601sonycmos.asp

Very interesting indeed. As a complete idiot in electronics, I wonder why no one thought of that before. It makes only sense that the photo-cells should be just below the micro-lenses, with the electronic circuitry on the back side. Actually I thought all sensors worked effectively this way :D

Anyway, it's very good news for Sony DSLR owners as I'm sure the coming models, maybe the A1000, will be equipped with such sensor. :thumbs:
Edward;
It's not that noone thought of that before. It's the cost associated with the process. If everything is on single side, the whole wafer can goes though the whole process at one pass. Wiring through the outside world from a device where everything is on one side is also easier, so as aligning the micro lens side to the diode. Now as people pushing each sensor area smaller and smaller, there is no room left for the wiring, so we have to go an alternative route. For these two side thing, there will be problem associated with it as the alignment of the lens and the cell can be an issue and it probably more sensitive to process variation. (speaking from my 13 yrs and counting in semiconductor industry)

Panya