The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

further answers to questions about upgrades from Leica

scott kirkpatrick

There has been uncertainty (and confusion) on both this and the LUF forum about exactly what an upgrade will involve, what warranty will result, and what it will cost. I sent some questions to Stefan Daniel and received the following answers. Note that his definition of the warranty is limited to a total of three continuous years. I've asked him again if he really means that.

My questions were:

Exactly what is the meaning of "one year extension" to your warranty --
present warranty if any plus one year, with a minimum of one year
warranty from completion of the work? Or something else?

SD: The new warranty of one year counts on top of the expiry date of the original warranty. (Purchase date +2 years)

Will they do a CLA for work which gives you an extended warranty, and
can they say what work they will include in that CLA?

SD: The camera is being checked and if needed adjusted in all functions. The warranty comprises all functions.

Will they announce prices for customers in the non-VAT areas (US, far
east) before long? Will those prices apply only if the work is done
locally, or can an American customer (for example) send his camera to Solms and still get the US price and Leica shipping?

SD: The prices published are valid for an upgrade done in the Solms factory. Local service centres will soon communicate their fees. If required, the agencies will send the cameras to Solms, but at the Solms-pricing + shipment fees. In general, we do not recommend this, because this will increase the period in which the customer will be without camera.