The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Resolution Games

PeterA

I got my mini Alpa body today ( 12TC) and thought I would show a couple of ( to me anyway) interesting things. I put my Schneider 35 Apo digitar on it and walked around my garden to make a few shot in evening light. I was shooting at F11 ISO 100 hand held between 1/15th and 1/30th. The body lens back is extrmely hand holdable - the 12WS probably even more so...

The first image is 100% crop from teh second image ( I show where in second image ) - no sharpening or mucking around for purposes of this quickie. File processed in Adobe Raw straight from Bridge..

The first thing I like about MF digi and Alpa combination is resolution...

gogopix

Subscriber
well. I suppose i better unpack my 12TC :)
It has been sitting in a box for two weeks as the P45+ was engaged on the Contax.
Curiously (maybe not so) I started with the 35mm

PeterA

well gogo - good to see another person with an Alpa - what rarified company !! - I am sure soon to be joined by Marc and Jack and Guy..at least..LOL..

Jim Stone

Workshop Member
Peter,

Very nice image. I sure didn't need the encouragement ! :rolleyes: Have you guys worked out a quantity discount yet?

Jim

Jim Stone

Workshop Member
Jack,

If I find enough "Guy bucks" I'll bring it along! Peter, are you using a Leaf back....sorry I forgot.

Jim

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Why did i open this thread . I really hate this. Hell i am out of body parts to sell or at least any that are worth any money.

Honestly when i first opened it I thought okay nice than i saw the crop and that just floored me.

Jim Stone

Workshop Member
Jack and Guy,

And to think you tried to talk me out of this sexy gear.....shame on both of you! :mad: Having said that, can you float me a loan !! ;) Honestly, I'm affectionately called Mr Equipment here at the homestead, so it's only a matter of time. Just waiting for an improvement in the exchange rate(from my wife's hands into mine....LOL!) Love the ability to hand hold the Alpa also, tho think I'd go for the 12SWA, just for the ability to shift 25mm....not much but the capability would be there. Wonder if Peter and Gogo would comment on their decisions to get the 12 TC.

Jim

PeterA

Hi Jim,

I have both the 12WA and the TC - why?
I bought the 12WA first and love it so much I bought my every day version as well...these bodies will last more than a lifetime and are pretty much future proof because all you are getting is a perfect mounting system for a digiback. I think it is very funny that people will spend a lot of money on a digi back and not realise that most times they arent mounted square as film plane to lens tolerances in typical cameras are way too loose....

I will get around to writing about the Alpa decision from an amateur's perspective maybe of interet to some..

Guy and Jack - the Alpa is just a well made frame. teh Schneider/Rodenstock wide glass specifically made for high performance digi back capture mated to a decent back is what makes it work. keeping everything square relative to each other in very precise form is what it is all about.

PeterA

Sorry Jm i didnt notice yoru first question - yes I am using a Leaf Aptus 75 - but will probably switch to Sinar soon if my personal testing shows that that is teh right thing to do..

I have no problem with Leaf at all - the ( possible ) switch is another story..I am testing a Rollei with top of the line Sinar over teh weekend...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Hi Jim,

I have both the 12WA and the TC - why?
I bought the 12WA first and love it so much I bought my every day version as well...these bodies will last more than a lifetime and are pretty much future proof because all you are getting is a perfect mounting system for a digiback. I think it is very funny that people will spend a lot of money on a digi back and not realise that most times they arent mounted square as film plane to lens tolerances in typical cameras are way too loose....

I will get around to writing about the Alpa decision from an amateur's perspective maybe of interet to some..

Guy and Jack - the Alpa is just a well made frame. teh Schneider/Rodenstock wide glass specifically made for high performance digi back capture mated to a decent back is what makes it work. keeping everything square relative to each other in very precise form is what it is all about.
I think getDPI workshops needs to have one of these. ROTFLMAO

gogopix

Subscriber
Dear Peter
a question on grips; the people at Badger in the US sent me a left hand grip for the Pase back wake up. It seems reasonable; the picture on the Alpa site shows left had grip and cable. But there is also a right hand cable grip.

Question is this; for a right handed person one usually ha right hand grip. But with Alpa Phase there are two releases; one for the wakeup (on the left hand grip) and the shutter release on the lens.

It would seem awkward to have two rt hand releases, and grip may block the shutter however, SWA12 has TWO grips.

I am wondering what is best with the 12tc. I suppose I could add the FINGER grip on the right side, or make like the WA with two, but then there goes the small aspect of the TC.

Any ideas? What do you need for the Leaf? It doent need a wakeup but you do need long latency no?

anything would help.
Regards
Victor

PeterA

G'day gogopix,

if not on a tripod the best way to shoot a 12TC is with only one grip on the right hand side - your left hand should be free to cradle the camera whilst the right steadies and shoots.
with a 12WA - I think you need the two grips - but teh Phase One back needs the cable running through the grip. If you want a WA then get teh right hand side cable run through version of the grip

you will find with either that teh most difficut thing to get rihgt whilst hand holing is a flat plane shot - the wides exagerate any tilt via your holding technique.

USe a tripod ( of course ) to get the most out of this setup..

Pete

Jim Stone

Workshop Member
Peter,

I'm glad you mentioned the leveling issue. I've chatted with a landscape person and an architect who are shooting the SWA, but never remembered to ask about leveling. Can't you see the level bubbles? thru the viewfinder to help with this problem? Am sure shooting on a tripod would certainly be the way to go whenever possible. The both use Phase backs and suggest what you just posted to Victor. BTW, what are you both using for tripods and ballheads? Sorry for all of the questions, but still trying to convince myself to jump into this. As you know the camera and lenses are the "least" of the costs!! :(

All input is greatly appreciated,

Jim

PeterA

Jim, I allow myself a touch of eccentricity regarding photo gear.

I had a MF digi back - and this represents the largest cost in the Alpa equation. I was not happy with Canon wides in 35mm land so I started investigating the whole issue of proper wide angle shooting, this led me through large format/panorama ( Linhof technorama ) etc etc - finally I somehow ended up in Alpa land. Fortunately my MF dealer also carried Alpa. So I borrowed an Alpa with 24mm and 35mm Schneiders a couple of times when on holiday and it pretty much made up my mind that for me the Alpa camera is a fantastic wide angle solution.

this doesn't mean that it is an ideal solution for other people..

Anyway regarding bubble level indicators - yes I can see them with TC or 12WA - but remember that you are looking through a viewfinder ( not a lens) which is perched on top of the camera - very easy to get some tilt as you have 4 directions ot play with -:)

the tripod is ideal or some other fixed device for the very best captures...

One can get away with shooting hand held - but with a 33 megapixel digi bak and teh Schneider sharp lenses - you will get caught out I guarantee you. Remember - wide open is 5.6 with center filter add 2 stops...you want to shoot F8-11 which is sharpest so you are generally shooting at ISO 100 between 1/15th - 1/60th - maybe a touch higher on very sunlit shots at midday...

regarding tripods I have a lightweight Gitzo and a Silk ballhead - i am shopping for a better head which I can use on a large Manfrotto or the linhoff lightweight I have ordered. Heads are personal decisions ...much like a golf putter - thee days everything is made well.

hope that helped.

Jim Stone

Workshop Member
Peter,

Thanks for the great info. I'll continue my studying while trying to sell some body part !! At least I have the Gitzo tripod and RRS BH 55 from my Canon DSLR to use eventually. Post some images when you can.

Cheers,

Jim

PeterA

Peter,

Thanks for the great info. I'll continue my studying while trying to sell some body part !! At least I have the Gitzo tripod and RRS BH 55 from my Canon DSLR to use eventually. Post some images when you can.

Cheers,

Jim
Jim,

no need to rush anything anytime is there? :)
Happy shooting .