The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hand/Wrist Strap for the a900?

mjm6

Hi folks,

Is anyone using a hand or wrist strap for the a900? I have used neck straps for years, but I generally would prefer to have a hand strap if possible.

Markins makes a QR plate that has a strap lug on it, so a hand strap would be viable on the camera:

Link Here

Using this strap with the QR plate and you have a good way to carry the camera with one hand... maybe. That's the question. Anyone try an approach like this?

Any other options for this?

Oh yes, I'm a new Sony a900 convert, after spending the last 25 years using Canon 35mm gear.

---Michael

tom in mpls

I used the Markins strap on my 5D; it is wonderful. I have another on order for my A900, but plan to use it with my new ImageTooling.com P1DS_LP QR plate. Since the strap is not yet in my possession, I have not been able to try it out. I agree this is the best way to handle the camera.

Please note that the ImageTooling.com web site doesn't list this plate yet, but I exchanged emails with Jim (Mr. ImageTooling, I guess) who told me about his new plate. It fits the A900 whereas his original P1DS that I have on my Canon does not.

http://www.imagetooling.com/

Terry

I have the Sony strap and bought the Hassy strap that Guy and Marc have used. I find the Hassy strap a bit too big for the camera but I just was trying it out before going to Iceland and I don't know if I had it optimally set up. Not sure if Marc uses his with a battery grip which might be the difference.

mjm6

Tom,

Thanks for the mention of this other plate. I wasn't aware of them, so it's worth looking into.

TEB,

Are you referring to the standard Sony strap (that comes with the camera)? Or is there a hand/wrist strap from Sony and Hassleblad? I don't intend to get the vertical grip for the camera, so anything that relies on that won't work for me.

I've always liked the OP/Tek straps for a neck strap, and if I need to, I'll use one of those, but if I can get a hand strap to work well, I think I'd prefer that approach.

---Michael

mjm6

TEB,

OK, thanks. That looks like it'll work on the other plates as you indicate. Maybe I'll chase one of those down.

---Michael

Braeside

The nice thing with the Sony handstrap is that you can use the neck strap at the same time as there is a buckle on it to attach the strap.

The Sony neoprene strap is excellent because it can unbuckle so that if you are using a tripod you can remove it and clip the small lengths left on the camera together to keep them out of the way.

mjm6

Breaeside,

That part of why I like the OP/Tek straps so much, when the strap is not needed you unclip the strap and then you can clip the two ends together into a much shorter hand strap, or just leave them dangle. Plus, the neoprene softens the shock of the camera on the shoulder.

---Michael

Eoin

I've always wondered what people were raving about with these OpTech straps. I got one for one of my a900's and hey! I'm now a believer. Talk about comfortable, talk about making the weight disappear, talk about not having to constantly re-position it on my shoulder. Possibly the best few €'s I've ever spent to make my photography life that bit better. Recommended 1000%.

With regard to hand straps, I use my old Canon 1D type hand strap with my a900 sometimes. Either with a battery grip or with the RRS L bracket fitted. I have the extra buckle fitted to allow use of the shoulder strap, but by in large I tend to use just the hand grip on it's own without the complication of extra trailing straps getting in the way.

mjm6

Eoin,
The one drawback to the OP/Tech straps (other than cost) is the bouncy neoprene, which can really get the camera moving if it's heavy, or has a heavy lens attached. You have to worry about it bouncing into a table or something if you aren't careful. Especially if you are moving quickly.

But I think they are great overall.

---Michael

dhsimmonds

I use the Sony handstrap with the vertical grip and I like it. It feels very similar to my ex-Leica R9/DMR set up with it's standard handstrap.

jdbfreeheel

+1 for the Sony Hand strap. I lucked out a while back and found it mis-marked for 1/2 the retail price (at a Sony Store no less) and they honored the marked price.

I use it with the RRS L bracket and am happy with how it works.

D

dmcnickle

Are you guys talking about the Sony hand strap or the grip belt that TEB provided a link to?

dhsimmonds

Me too..... I call it a handstrap but Sony describe it as a belt(?)! As an Anglo-Saxon, belts to me are what I wear around what I laughingly call my waist!

mjm6

Tom,

I got the plate you recommended, so I'm all good there, and I'm waiting on the Sony strap that Terry recommended.

I like that the Sony strap allows a regular strap to be connected to it as well. I'm not sure if the Markins does or not.

Anyway, I should be good to go shortly.

Now all I need to do is figure out a very small/light travel tripod and ball head for those times that I can't take my Gitzo 1348 (like next month, when I travel to Italy)...

---Michael

tom in mpls

I like that the Sony strap allows a regular strap to be connected to it as well. I'm not sure if the Markins does or not.
Yes, the Markins strap does have a lug at the top of the strap to attach a neck strap.

My vote for the neck strap is the Optech.

jsparks

Tom,

Now all I need to do is figure out a very small/light travel tripod and ball head for those times that I can't take my Gitzo 1348 (like next month, when I travel to Italy)...

---Michael
I'm going to Italy in October. I've decided to skip the tripod and just take a tabletop tripod (Manfroto). None of the lightweight tripods I've seen seem adequate. I've also decided to leave my A900 at home and take a Panasonic G1. Without using a tripod, the difference between the two is a lot smaller than I expected. I think it takes a good tripod to get the full benefits of the A900.