The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is a900 LCD screen protector necessary?

mjm6

OK, last dumb question for the night...

On the Canon 5d cameras (and other Canon models I believe) the built-in LCD screen protector is a cheap and simple replacement item for the camera (running about $10 or so). Since it's so inexpensive and easy to do, I don't believe that adding a screen protector gains you much in terms of protection, and you loose some ease of viewing the screen (more/worse reflections).

The a900 looks like it has a similar screen protector built in. Can anyone confirm that this is the case? I'll put a protector on it if I need to, but I'd prefer to not have to do that.

Thanks for the advice.

---Michael

Terry

It is similar but and I liked my Nikon one a bit better. In Monument Valley I did end up with one bit of sand between it and the LCD which did give me a bit of a scratch. So, off it went and will not return. If mine gets bad, I think I will eventually send it to Sony to replace the glass cover assuming it isn't outrageously expensive.

mjm6

Terry,

Thanks for that info. That's generally why I prefer to not use a protector!

---Micahel

Braeside

I use the Sony soft protector and the hard protector together, that way a piece of sand getting between the hard protector and screen will not scratch the screen.

The hard protector plastic scratches very easily, I have ordered a cheaper chinese copy of it to replace the original Sony one.

The coating on the Sony screen apparently does scratch easily, hence my obsessive protection measures.

Braeside

You ain't kidding, these sony protectors are utter rubbish. They mark so easily they become useless after a period of time. :thumbdown:
I wouldn't mind if they were 10 a penny. :mad:

Anyway, will see how the Chinese knockoff version does, can't be any worse.

Terry

Can you point me to the soft one? I agree the hard one also scratches. My Nikon version was quite good.

Braeside

Can you point me to the soft one? I agree the hard one also scratches. My Nikon version was quite good.
The one you want is LCD Protect Sheet PCK-LS4AM, it is actually 2 sheets, one for the rear main LCD and a smaller one for the top display.

I have Googled but have not found a USA source for you, it is available in Europe, so I would imagine that US should also have it.

I have the Giottos screen. Seems like the same thing as the GGS screen but costs double. The Giottos screen doesn't fit all that well. It fits the Sony, but was made for the Canon. If you buy one set it up flush at the top. I went for the bottom and it looks goofy. I'm not that worried about the top screen.

edwardkaraa

I use Sony's hard protector because I realized like every one else that the screen is prone to scratches. The protector itself scratches easily but this can only be seen when the screen is off. When reviewing pictures the scratches are invisible. Anyway, the protector is only like 15$ so I guess I can afford to change it once or twice a year :D I honestly don't really mind to use the camera with or without this piece of plastic, it's not something to worry about. I'm more worried about what Zeiss glass will ever be released, and how am I going to pay for it :cry:

mjm6

I looked into the GGS and decided to try one. I'll report back on this once I have the cover in place.

Thanks for the discussion folks.

---Michael

JimU

Not Available
wow, it sounds like the hard screen isn't very good. i'm glad i didn't get one.

i found the lcd screen excessively saturated and didn't really reflect the shot when viewed on a computer. i added a cheap generic $1 soft walmart lcd screen protector film which seemed to degrade the image somewhat but it seems to be more accurate.

The Sony plastic "had protector" sacrificed itself to save my LCD already. It's got some scratches in it, but the LCD is still pristine. Money well spent, IMHO. I'm happy to toss a $16 part in the recycle bin to save the hassle of dealing with a scratched LCD. I have been watching that Dyxum thread with interest. Now that I see that the Giottos protector fits properly and can be removed without stressing the original screen I'm willing to try it.