The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D700 to Sony questions

C

chefboyarlee

I currently have a D700 with 24-70, 70-200, 105vr and zeiss zf 85. I am thinking very hard about switching over to sony. I shoot mainly people with some food shots sprinkled in. The 70-200 works for fast moving kids. The 105 for food and babies. The 85 for static models. I like my kit a lot especially because I love the user interface of the d700. BUT...I truly miss the 85L. I hate canon 5 series ergonomics though. The zeiss 85 is nice but no af drives me nuts. I hope to hold off long enough to see what everyone does in the fall. New D700x? Probably too expensive for me. Nikon 85 1.4G? Hope that it's as good as the 85L which may be a stretch. Sony A950? This would definitely make me switch.

If I switch, money may be tight. 24-70, 85, 135 and some macro lens. Has anyone used a 135 1.8 with a sony 1.4 tc? I would probably do this instead of the 70-200. Or would you recommend the 70-200 plus the 85?

Thanks everyone.

picman

I am not sure the 135 Zeiss is compatible with an extender. The 135 STF is, but not the Zeiss I think. Please, someone correct me if I am wrong. I do not have the 70-200 but have read many very positive reports about it.

Cheers, Bob.

M

madcat207

Looking at your kit, I would recommend the 24-70 Zeiss, 70-200G, and either the 85 or 135, depending on which focal length tickles your fancy more. The Zeiss AF glass is top notch, and you cannot go wrong with either the 85 or 135; go for the length that fits you best. I can say with some certainty that the 85 ziess will make sure you don't miss the 85L.

Terry

I asked about the 135 with a TC when I bought the A900. I was told it was not compatible. Search this forum I know I asked it here.

edwardkaraa

Looking at your kit, I would recommend the 24-70 Zeiss, 70-200G, and either the 85 or 135, depending on which focal length tickles your fancy more. The Zeiss AF glass is top notch, and you cannot go wrong with either the 85 or 135; go for the length that fits you best. I can say with some certainty that the 85 ziess will make sure you don't miss the 85L.
+1

fotografz

I know your dilemma. I still have both Nikon and Sony gear which I use for different applications.

Prior to that it was all Canon. Like you, I never could take to the 5D or 5D-MKII ... which was a real shame.

Compared to the Sony A900, the D700 has the higher ISO advantage. It also has an advantage in operating/AF speed and use of flash. And like you, I love the ergonomics and handling of the D700.

However, the Sony has twice the meg count, in-camera anti-shake ... and some spectacular Zeiss optics. The feel and interface is definitely different compared to the Nikon, and you should go handle one before making your mind up.

What interests me a lot is the next generation of the D700. If it follows the lead of the D300 replacement, it will have 2 memory card slots that capture to two cards at once ... which the current Sony's do not have. Big security advantage for one chance, irreplacable captures.

I also used the Canon 85/1.2L prior to switching to Nikon/Sony. Unfortunately nothing quite replaces the Canon 85/1.2L or the 50/1.2L and 35/1.4L ... and I still miss those specific lenses. The Sony/Zeiss 85/1.4 exhibits more CA and purple fringing and doesn't control flare quite as well compared to the Canon L. That said, the Zeiss 85/1.4 can produce a phenomenal 3D effect, typical Zeiss color and contrast, and lovely Bokeh ... and unlike Nikon or Canon 85s is stabilized ... like every Sony lens is on their cameras.

The Sony/Zeiss 135/1.8 is in a class of its own, and I like it even over the Canon 135/2L which is saying a lot since that's one of the best 135s ever made by anyone as touted in almost every report published. IMO, the Zeiss 135/1.8 beats it hands down for color and 3D effect. I am pretty sure you cannot use an extender on the Sony 135/1.8.

Sony doesn't have a Macro the equal to the new Nikon 105/2.8 ED AF-S VR. If you shoot table top food, you should also know that Sony doesn't currently offer any T/S macro lens. Nikon's new optically reformulated PC-E 85/2.8D T/S Micro Nikkor is in a class of its own for this application.

I have the Sony 70-200/2.8G ... which is an APO zoom with 4 ED elements BTW. It is not a Zeiss lens but frankly you'd never know it. It is quite good. Most certainly better than the aging Nikon version ... but that may change with the recent announcement of Nikon's replacement with improved nano coated ED optics and next generation VR ... which unfortunately will come at a hefty price tag.

I am taking the Sony 70-200G and Zeiss 16-36/2.8 to the Detroit "Dream Cruise" today ... the world's largest moving car show and exhibit of classic and hot rod vehicles. I'll try to post some shots from the G lens with and with-out the 1.4X extender so you can see some of what it can do.

-Marc

Last edited:

fotografz

Here's a proof sheet from yesterday's walk about at the Detroit Dream Cruise. One of about 10 proof sheets.

Thousands and thousands of participants parked and cruising about a 10 mile stretch of Woodward Ave. Just about anything ever built was there.

I'll post some single shots in the "Fun with Sony" thread.

Used the Zeiss 16-35/2.8 for parked street stuff and the 70-200/2.8G for cruising shots and a few details ... mostly with the 1.4X. The extender tends to slightly lessen contrast compared to not using it ... but it's hard to tell if it's the lens extender or greater distance to subject with more "atmospheric" contamination ... probably a little of both. However, in this very bright overhead sun it is hardly worth mentioning actually.

V

vyanush

Has anyone used a 135 1.8 with a sony 1.4 tc?
Hi,

just checked and ZA 135/1.8 DOES work with Sigma 1.4x TC

the bad news is FL&F-number are not adjusted accrodingly
(A900 continue to see it as 135/1.8 though AE seems to
be OK)

IQ is a separate story...

good luck
Vlad

gsking

You can use GENERIC extenders with any Minolta lens....with associated loss of quality. The best one I've read about is the Kenko Pro...I have it, but never use it. I don't think it's chipped, but other models do report aperture correctly, if not focal length.

It's true the Minolta/Sony teleconverters require lenses without flush rear elements.

That said, many people find the 70-200SSM quite similar to the 135STF, or as much as a non-STF zoom can compare to an STF prime. :) I have the 70-200 and find it to have bokeh appealing enough to forego purchase of the STF for the time being.

That said, beware that the sample variation on the 70-200 seems to be unexpectedly high. Try before you buy if at all possible.

Greg