The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Do I need a slim filter for the CZ 16-35?

tom in mpls

I will be looking for a CP filter for the Zeiss 16-35mm lens. For the A900, I am wondering if vignetting at 16mm wide open will be less with a slim filter as compared to standard filter. I'd prefer to have front threads, but if vigging is a problem that can be lessened I would deal with it.

This may be academic as I would expect to be shooting stopped down when shooting situations call for a CP. But I'm that way. Compulsive and perfectionist.

edwardkaraa

I would recommend to buy Sony Zeiss T* filters. They are slim and actually cheaper than the slim alternatives from B+W or Heliopan.

Eoin

I have the Zeiss T* filters both the standard clear filters and the polarizer. Both are slim types and IMO you need them with this lens. There is a natural amount of vignetting with this lens without the filters and these slim types don't add to it.

douglasf13

Another thin option is the Nikon Polarizer II filters. Like Singh Ray, they allow more light in than standard CPLs, and they don't have as much of a cool color cast. Apparently, they are coated on all four sides of glass, which is unusual from what I understand. They're all that I use now. :thumbup:

dhsimmonds

I have never had vignetting problems with this lens using a standard rim B + W filter. The 24-70 is however another story at the wide end of the zoom!

dhsimmonds

Any recommendations then for a circ pol for the zeiss 24-70?
If I were buying again I would use the Zeiss CP filter but be sure not to stack the filter onto an existing UV or protection filter. (not good practice at any time BTW)

If you have a 77mm standard rim filter of any sort just try it on the lens as with the 24-70 even just looking through the viewfinder at max aperture at 24mm with the hood on, you should be able to see any effects of vignetting in the corners.

Terry

If I were buying again I would use the Zeiss CP filter but be sure not to stack the filter onto an existing UV or protection filter. (not good practice at any time BTW)

If you have a 77mm standard rim filter of any sort just try it on the lens as with the 24-70 even just looking through the viewfinder at max aperture at 24mm with the hood on, you should be able to see any effects of vignetting in the corners.
Even with the Zeiss CP alone (and it is the thinnest CP I've seen) the 24-70 will vignette at 24 mm.

I'm surprised at the reports that there aren't vignetting problems on the 16-35. When I was in AZ I had problems with the 24-70 but was using a thick filter. I thought about getting the 16-35 for Iceland because my 12-24 doesn't take filters which are really necessary there. In the end I didn't add the lens partially because I thought there were problems using CPs when you go really wide with the sky not being uniform in color. Is that not a problem on the wide end of this lens?

Eoin

It appears that vignetting is readily observed and about the same with either CP, clear filter, or naked. Thanks.
But this is the 24-70, I was just agreeing with what Terry was saying. I never ran the test with my 16-35, but in saying that, I'm of the opinion the vignetting is far less on the 16-35 than the 24-70 with or without the slim Zeiss filter.