The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The DP1 and this video got me thinking....

Terry

I've been thinking about the DP1 for a while. It took Sigma a long time to get it to market because of "technological challenges". After seeing it in pictures with the lens extended (I wasn't expecting an extending lens) I thought how can this be so hard....

The 28 elmarit is tiny, as are lenses like the CV35 (there are other small lenses these two just happen to be reasonably fast for their size). How hard would it be to make make it with autofocus (or snap focus like the Ricohs) as fixed lens on a smaller than M8 body? As I understand it the M8 can't be much smaller because you need the ability to focus but without the rangefinder focus can't you go smaller?

For those who haven't seen the DP1 in someone's hands here is a video. It is much larger than I thought and led me to make this post.

http://www.rytterfalk.com/2008/03/09/my-dp1-youtube-review-d/

This camera seems like it is almost the size of a Canonet.

Leica needs a camera like this (of course with a faster non-extending lens and higher than ISO 800) . If I'm crazy you can tell me....it won't be the first time.:grin:

Last edited:
A

asabet

I see what you mean, though I think the perspective makes it look larger than it is. When Carl extends the lens, it is very close to the video camera, while he is standing further back.

M

Mitch Alland

Yup, looks like an interesting camera

Thanks for posting the link. Looking at the video — and Carl Rytterfolk is a pretty good showman — you see that Sigma couldn't have paid for a more effective ad than this one! Seriously, the DP1 does look very interesting, but doesn't seem large to me: only slightly larger than the GX100. On dpreview Vladimir had posted a report from Birmingham, I think, in which he stated stated that the image on the DP1 LCD was very jerky and not that good — he must have seen one without the final firmware because in Rytterfolk's video the LCD display is smooth and looks good. BTW, I also like the lens hood that is demonstrated in the video.

What concerned me about the DP1 were the limits imposed by a maximum aperture of only f/4.0 and maximum ISO of only 800. But Rydderfalk has some DP1 pictures on his website, which are made with the DP1 pushed to ISO 1600, 3200 and even 6400. Interesting:

http://www.rytterfalk.com/

—Mitch/Bangkok
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10268776@N00/

Last edited:

cam

i was most impressed with the MF on this -- Sigma seems to have done it right!

i'm definitely going to take a look-see this week and will report back about the feel and size, etc.

A

asabet

Re: Yup, looks like an interesting camera

Thanks for posting the link. Looking at the video — and Carl Rytterfolk is a pretty good showman — you see that Sigma couldn't have paid for a more effective ad than this one!
Agreed, Carl really knows how to sell it! I think he just really wants to make sure that there is a DP2 and DP3 :D.