The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Joker

R

roberth

I'd like some feedback on this picture please.

It is interesting that just by being there I made the woman look at what I was looking at, would she have bothered looking up otherwise?

M

Mitch Alland

Robert:

For me this picture does not work. Several problems: first, you've titled this "The Joker" but the "Asian Food Market" sign and the "23rd Psalm" sign dominate the picture but are not interesting visually— indeed I am lead to believe that she's looking at The Joker Sign only because of your title; otherwise I would assume that she's reading the 23rd Psalm. Second, the woman is a tiny figure in the lower left corner: she's so small and so unimportant visually that without your titled I wouldn't at all try to figure out at what she's looking. This picture is a good example of an attempt to construct a photograph on the basis of a concept — the idea that you want us to think about where she's looking, but it's only this concept that drives the picture, while the design of the picture, it's visual configuration or what is called it's "form" does not support the conceptual intent or content. For a photograph to be effective it must first of all have a compelling visual composition, a compelling form. Here there is only the concept that you have without the form to anchor it. This is a common problem when taking pictures of signs.

—Mitch/Bangkok
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10268776@N00/