The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

dawn

N

nei1

I posted this before briefly but removed it because it wasnt right.Have worked on it to try and retain the feeling of dawn,and on the various contrasts within the image.It was taken on 400asa colour neg and scanned.

Leica M6 35mmsummilux preasph wide open.

sizifo

I posted this before briefly but removed it because it wasnt right.Have worked on it to try and retain the feeling of dawn,and on the various contrasts within the image.It was taken on 400asa colour neg and scanned.

Leica M6 35mmsummilux preasph wide open.
What a strange photo... What are the things?

It has a subtle disbalance due to the tops of the "things" touching the horizon and the shoreline, and the choice of dof.

I still can't make up my mind about it, though i think i like it. But it is for sure a rarely original attempt, which deserves a compliment in an of itself. "planet of the apes" meets "odyssey 2001"

Last edited:
N

nei1

Thanks for the comments sizifo ,the things are from the palm tree in my garden,they are a kind of pod that hold some of the reproductive apparatus of the tree.I took these down the cliff to the beach to quite deliberately photograph them there.,an unusual thing for me to be quite so deliberate but not unique,I did want to make a natural looking image even if the pods are incongruous in this setting,quite a lot of work and thought went into this in order that it might look natural in an odd sort of way.So youre thoughts are quite appropriate and very welcome,all the best.......Neil.

N

nei1

Just to shed a little more of my guilt this was taken a week or so before.

by presenting these images I feel as though in therapy ,hopefully this wil be an end to such nonsense.

V

Vivek

Neil, I like that palm pod arrangement.

Do you know if you have male or female palms or both?

N

nei1

Im not sure Vivek but I think these are the male side as the other type seems to yeild a kind of yellow fruit,however its possible that my "female tree"didnt develop any fruit because there is no male tree in the area.Will get back to you.Glad you liked the photo.

N

nei1

Thanks Simon,very pleased you like it.These came off the tree like this,dried out and split,reminding me of the ballet dancer sculpted by Degas.So started a month long quest to take a decent photo of them,it became quite involving.In the one above I made the supports obvious and had plans to make them more elaborate;in others the supportts are hidden.Have a few films to develop,minox,my newish A111s,and a tx400 35mm film.Will see how they come out.:)

deliberatly hid the supports to give maybe too much animation,has become too anthropomorphic I think.

Last edited: