The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Yosemite Falls as I haven't seen it before

greypilgrim

Obviously, the colors are key here. I have looked at it on two different calibrated monitors, so hopefully it will display well :rolleyes: I am sure I will spend more time processing this one. Taken with a Panasonic G1 and 45-200 plus polarizer.

Taken from Sentinel Dome this weekend. There was an early winter storm that got the falls flowing at a time they usually do not. We just happened to be up on the dome at the time the angle of light was right for the rainbow.

Enjoy,
Doug

Don Libby

Doug - I was there this past week as well. Everyone was telling me that the falls had been dry for the past couple months till the rain earlier in the week. We didn't by chance meet in the meadow? I was the one shooting the Cambo WRS1000...

BYT - I like the image!

Don

greypilgrim

Don,
Glad you liked it. I have another that I am playing with that has just the orange and red at the base of the falls. Almost looks like they are on fire. I'll have to play with it more this evening to see what I can get from it.

We were on the valley floor Friday. It was unusual for that time of year to have the waterfalls flowing (that storm dropped more than 5 inches and quite a bit of snow up high). We were up there last year about the same time, and they were all dry except for BridalVeil which was a trickle and Vernal/Nevada which wasn't too much more. So, we decided to wander around the floor and shoot that day. Saturday we went up to Sentinel Dome, the Fissures, and Taft Point. Sunday we hit Tuolomne Meadows.

I wish I had seen you with the Cambo (I had to look it up); I would have definitely stopped to ask about it :). I've been a Nikon shooter for years although on this trip I was playing with a Panasonic G1.

If I get that other image to look the way I want it to, I will add it here.

Doug

Don Libby

We got there Tuesday afternoon (10/13) and left Saturday (10/17). It poured Tuesday and drizzled on Wednesday; great skies with plenty of clouds till Thursday then the sky just sucked. The hotel folk told us Yosemite Falls had been dry for the past couple months and just started flowing since the rain. Never made it to the 120 as it was closed each day we were there; drove up twice as the signs showed open only to find it still closed.

I posted a couple images in the IR thread below all were shot with my converted 1DsII.

I'm planning a return trip late Feb next year.

Don

greypilgrim

Don,
Are you aware of the "fire fall" effect on HorseTail Falls in February? Definitely worth checking out if you are up there then (or maybe that is why you are going then?).

Doug

D

D.Keymn

Yosemite Falls as I havent seen it before

I wouldnt mind a question and answers thread. I have seen something I like on a forum and want to know how to do it.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Re: Yosemite Falls as I havent seen it before

I wouldnt mind a question and answers thread. I have seen something I like on a forum and want to know how to do it.
It's a natural occurrence in the valley for Yosemite and Horsetail falls between late October and early March, and happens early to mid-morning based on time of the year. Basically you need water in the falls and thin to no cloud cover so the Sun can create the mist-bow. In a good year, you also have a few Moonlit evenings where you can get these mist-bows from a bright Moon too!

Clearly it can happen anywhere there is strong, directional light and mist, but in the case of rain or mist bows, they *always* occur at roughly 42 degrees off axis from the anti-solar (or anti-light-source) point. What this means in simple language is to keep the Sun at your back, and look for a bow at a 42 degree angle radius from the shadow cast by your head. If there is bright Sun, and you can put mist along the arc of that anti-Solar radius, physics demands that you will see a bow! The effect or brilliance of the bow is enhanced when the immediate background is dark ;)

Cheers,