The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Warning - Fruitcake

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
It is approaching that time of year, when my family flung far and wide, begs me to make fruitcake and send it to them. Yes, I know that it is a strange request, but I DO have a strange family.
Every year, the postman asks whenever I bring the boxes to the post office whether the boxes contain anything liquid, flammable, fragile, etc.
This year, in order to avoid any misunderstanding, I will be pasting the following labels on each box so as to not arouse postal scrutiny.

-bob

Last edited:

bensonga

This year, in order to avoid any misunderstand, I will be pasting the following labels on each box so as to not arouse postal scrutiny.

"WARNING -- FRUITCAKE"

-bob
I'm afraid that might have the opposite effect....the packages may be quarrantined, pending chemical analysis for toxicity etc.

But if you have any extras.....please send them north to Alaska. :thumbup:

Gary

Dale Allyn

Bob, I think that your label is great, and it will add a smile to the faces of many of those who work to transfer your cakes to their intended recipients. But I will freely admit that I like good fruitcake, and I'm not afraid to admit it. :)

Cheers!

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
This stuff takes time and absorbs about 20% of its volume of a mixture of Grand Marnier and cognac.
-bob

LJL

Great label, Bob. I could have used something like that long, long ago. I used to hate fruitcake until I lived with a wonderful woman while in grad school back in Boston area. She was determined to preserve the fruitcake heritage, and I learned first hand just how much work goes into making a good fruitcake....plus how much liquor goes into that preservation part ;-) Like Dale and Jack, I now actually like fruitcake.....but only ones that are made from scratch and with the same sort of care my former ladyfriend put into them.

The key to fruitcake appreciation, I think, is not to eat the ones that get passed around year after year, but to find a good dedicated baker that appreciates both the process and the product.

LJ

LJL

John,
Corsicana is the proclaimed fruitcake capital of the world, I believe. I used to drive through there numerous times during holiday season for family visits to Dallas and Oklahoma from down here in Houston. I never had the interest to tour the big factory baking operations, and probably still do not have the interest. Having heard about Collins Street Bakery, I was always wanting to put it to the test. However, I know I will be a tough customer given the history I had with the delectable ;-)

LJ

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Since I will be in Fort Worth Dec 9-13, maybe I can get there to check it out.
Mine will not be ready until Dec 20 since it needs time to "cure"
-bob

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
John,
Corsicana is the proclaimed fruitcake capital of the world, I believe. I used to drive through there numerous times during holiday season for family visits to Dallas and Oklahoma from down here in Houston. I never had the interest to tour the big factory baking operations, and probably still do not have the interest. Having heard about Collins Street Bakery, I was always wanting to put it to the test. However, I know I will be a tough customer given the history I had with the delectable ;-)

LJ
Their Apricot Pecan Cake is running neck and neck with their fruit cake. Since I'm bad at making choices, I just get both. :D

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
PLEASE don't send me a fruit cake. I'm putting that on my Christmas cards. YUK

Fruit Cake and Brussel sprouts I can't even look at.

beamon

+3 or is it 4 now?

I'm with the folk who like fruitcake. Funny, though, as I like both ends of the fruitcake spectrum.

A cake that is sparsely fruited with only enough booze to hold it together makes a great coffee cake, whereas one that is heavily laden with fruit and booze is marvelous as a dessert. The dessert style is nicely enhanced with a dollop of really good vanilla ice cream. Paired with Ch. Y'quem or an elegant eiswein will make a so-so meal into a memorable experience. :thumbup:

bensonga

Fruit Cake and Brussel sprouts I can't even look at.
Guy....when you have that first Alaska GetDPI workshop, you have got to try my wife's Brussel sprouts.....I believe the recipe is from Cook's Illustrated. You won't believe how delicious these are! Everyone I know agrees...even those who swore they would never eat a Brussel sprout. :thumbs:

Gary