The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

One Day, Two Photographers (Jack + Uwe)

ustein

Contributing Editor
Jack and I had a nice day shooting South of Hollister. We both want to show what we got during this wonderful day (was great independent of the resulting photos).

I kick it off and Jack plans to chime in. Over the next day we then add more and more pictures.

The first 5 photos show about the variety of scenes we captured.

Oak a la Carte (5D2)

IR fun (5D IR)

Victorian Ranch House (5D2)

Donkey (1D4)

Car Graveyard (5D2)

Here is our growing SmugMug Gallery:

http://outbackphoto.smugmug.com/Images2010byCategory/Highway-25/11205858_YZJeM#785692937_6QhV2

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Looks nice Uwe . Jack called me on the way home and said he had a great day. Look forward to seeing more of what you guy's got.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Here are a few very quickly processed on my laptop IR's. I may need to rework some when I see them on my big monitor. All of this batch from the GF1-IR:

Terry

Uwe and Jack great stuff.

Jack - oh crap I was hoping my GF1 would be here for the weekend. I didn't really mind when I was scheduled to be in NY but now that I'm here, I want it now. Were you using an additional filter on the lens?

Now that I'll be in town over the holiday weekend, I'm going to head down that way. Any location suggestions are welcome.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Here are a few from the P65+, also quickly processed on my laptop. You can see how lush the fresh grass was, which is also why it went white in the IR's above:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Uwe and Jack great stuff.

Jack - oh crap I was hoping my GF1 would be here for the weekend. I didn't really mind when I was scheduled to be in NY but now that I'm here, I want it now. Were you using an additional filter on the lens?

Now that I'll be in town over the holiday weekend, I'm going to head down that way. Any location suggestions are welcome.
Hi Terry,

No additional filter, this was straight out of the modified GF1. The first 4 are converted to B&W in CS4, the last one is false-color desaturated by about 25 points.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
thanks Uwe. I really like your Car Graveyard -- great perspective! I definitely need to go back there and spend more time shooting those dead cars!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
FYI we have at least 4 GF1's that are going to be on the workshop in the Salton Sea. Jack , Guy, Bob and Terry will all have one on hand. This should be a blast

Ben you can have them converted by Precision Camera in Connecticut for around 250 dollars. I'm waiting for mine to get here.

Right now as I speak here in the Desert from all the heavy rains the Desert is starting to get very green which makes for excellent IR images and the wildflowers should hit in full bloom by the time we get to the workshop. Not sure we could have timed this workshop any better. We call Jack farmer almanac, he just nails it every time for shooting times.

Diane B

This is beautiful country and you two have some wonderful images from there. The car graveyard is such a strange thing, love the hillsides--they are wonderful in color, mono or IR/mono.

Just curious, from an easterner, where approx is this area in CA?

Edit: DOH!! "South of Hollister"--just need to locate it LOL. Was it down along highway 25?

Diane

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
We call Jack farmer almanac, he just nails it every time for shooting times.
Don't jinx me Bud! Seriously though, it IS looking very, very promising for our Salton Sea workshop. On this drive yesterday the mustard and pixies were just starting to bloom on the hillsides. As soon as I got South of the King City parallel, I noticed a smattering of fresh poppy clusters and some fresh lupine clusters. This is early for poppies, so I am very optimistic about both our timing and the quality of the desert bloom this year :thumbs:.

PS: Shameless self-promotion, but we do have one spot left for the workshop! http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12754

jlm

Workshop Member
i think i know that area: hwy 25 headed toward Pinnacles. had some firery mexican food in Hollister

ustein

Contributing Editor
Yes, mainly from Hwy 25. This is the time of the year fro the hills. Maybe wildflowers soon.