The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which do you prefer...

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Terry I like the first one but agree that some modest croping using the original format might improve it . It would slightly increase the size of the car but retain the expansive feel. Roger

jonoslack

HI Terry
Well - first of all, congratulations, it's a lovely shot.

I'm perhaps being a devil's advocate a little here, but I like the wide open feel the big sky gives, and I think the panorama loses it. I also like the v shape of the water on the left . . . . but I'd like to add the VW into that shape, and the only way to do that seems to be a bit of a crop - from the bottom and the left. There is now a soft of criss cross, which could only have been improved by getting the guy to repark his beetle!

Rather than vignetting, I've done a bit of a gradient on the sky, to focus the attention downwards, and also to give more of a feel to the sky.

Sorry - I'm bad at putting words to things which get done instinctively.

Anyway, this is not supposed to be how you should do it, but another take on the image.

I suddenly realised how old this thread is :) you must have printed it ages ago!

Terry

Jono,
LOL.....it came back from being framed a few weeks ago. Good news, I did print the larger uncropped version but without your nice sky gradient!

jonoslack

Jono,
LOL.....it came back from being framed a few weeks ago. Good news, I did print the larger uncropped version but without your nice sky gradient!
Ah well, maybe it was a bit glib anyway . . . what I was really trying to do was to reinforce the criss-cross in the foreground with the car continuing the line of the rocks, and the shoreline in the other direction. . . . I'm also partial to negative space, and impartial to the rule of thirds:ROTFL:

cam

i'm glad you kept the space, Terry. so how did the print come out?

(btw, i think Jono's version is my fave.)