The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NSFW: Carly in IR

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Last Saturday I did some experimental shots with an IR converted GF1. There is no retouch other than B&W conversion
This is one of the results:
Carly in IR

-bob

T

tokengirl

I really like the IR effect on skin. Looks like a fine marble sculpture, her veins kind of add to that effect.

For my taste, I would prefer straight up B&W (mainly because I don't really care for orange).

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
@Vivek,
Yes it does,
It is an interesting effect, skin texture goes away, vermilion areas go white.
The shot was taken with studio strobe and the WB on the original looked almost like a cyanotype.

@tokengirl,
Heck I have played with several colors, but I thought that the effect was not as well showcased in B&W for this image.

Last edited:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
It felt a bit weird.
I was shooting with the DF/P65+ and then pulled out the GF1.
She is a photographer too, now she wants one. I counted the GF1s before she left LOL

Rick Waldroup

This is excellent. As others have mentioned, the IR gives the shot a distinctive, dynamic look. Great model. I am usually not a fan of tattoos on models, but in this case, and I imagine that the IR had something to do with this, the tattoo really stands out against her porcelain like skin, and adds a great artistic touch to the photo. The lighting is perfect, right up to the gorgeous shadow on the background.

Nice work.

V

Vivek

Well said, Rick.

BTW, IR does quite well for Street also. You should really get a G1 or GF-1 converted for IR, Rick.;)

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, folks,
I need to play around with the processing a bit, but I am convinced I will use this technique more.
-bob