The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Salton Sea Workshop - Images

C

capsfoto

Just curious, how safe is the area to be around shooting on your own? I have heard various stories about safety/crime issues. Thanks for any input on this. Btw. keep up the great work, looks like an amazing place to shoot.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Just curious, how safe is the area to be around shooting on your own? I have heard various stories about safety/crime issues. Thanks for any input on this. Btw. keep up the great work, looks like an amazing place to shoot.
It's is both a remote and economically-depressed area, so my advice is to explore it as a group...

Terry

No lack of dedication in this group! Here is a group shot from this morning at about 6:30AM....but that was already three hours into our day :eek:. No :sleep006::sleep006::sleep006: when this group is chasing the light.

Don Libby

Love the teddy bear shots; the only thing missing is crime scene tape and white chalk outlines…:eek:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Early AM this morning, a geothermal power plant in about a 40 MPH wind. 30 second exposure:

Just a few minutes later:

Terry

We had an amazing shoot this AM. Followed by breakfast in a VERY "local" restaurant. Candid portrait at breakfast.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Here are some P65 shots with a pinhole lens I made -- taken this evening at Bombay Beach:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Terry, GREAT available light portrait!

Bob, LOVE the gull!

:thumbs:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Jack,
I like that pinhole set, no, way better than that.
way cool!
-bob

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Very Cool Jack , Terry and Bob .

As maybe mentioned earlier we got up extremely early drove about 1.5 hours just for one image. Sometimes you get lucky and get two. Regardless something we do very frequently on workshops is what i call chase the light. Bottom line the world is as bland looking as a piece of white bread unless you have great light. You will see many variations on this scene in the next week as folks process there images and i am still not so sure i got what I want yet myself. But the bottom line is we had amazing light for this scene.

Before the sunrise

At sunrise

Than 60 seconds later I nailed this one