The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Salton Sea Workshop - Images

Terry

Terry, missed this one, sorry! Awesome sky and the three pelicans make it :thumbs:
Thanks, Jack.
The file larger looks much better and the clouds aren't clipped. So, something in my jpeg conversion is making this sort of worse than it is. I need to go back in with your actions and play around.

Terry

Mike,
I would love to see your whole Salton Sea gallery when you are done. You've got these great shots with a different perspective than many of us. It is great to see everyone's take on the same area.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Mike,
I would love to see your whole Salton Sea gallery when you are done. You've got these great shots with a different perspective than many of us. It is great to see everyone's take on the same area.
Totally agree. Love to see all of it when you get it all processed out

MikeScecina

Workshop Member
Jack, Terry and Guy, thanks for your comments. I'll have to figure out how to construct a gallery but I'll get it done.
There's only one way to capture a Fouquiera splendens though.

Attachments

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Joe, great B&W treatment -- you really have that Horseman and Leaf back humming!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, Jack.
The file larger looks much better and the clouds aren't clipped. So, something in my jpeg conversion is making this sort of worse than it is. I need to go back in with your actions and play around.
In general, a jpeg will clip bright skies as some of the yellow band is OOG. One thing that can help a bit is to dial your max curves output to around 250-252 before you convert it.

MikeScecina

Workshop Member
Terry,
+4 on your 'first evening' shot. Simply beautiful. And it's even more powerful with the fourth pelican. :ROTFL:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Here is a set that I think illustrates the changing moods of the Salton Sea. Clearly the mood here changes daily, but on this particular moarning it changed minute by minute. These three shots are taken over the course of about 12 minutes as the Sun rose and processed pretty much straight out of the camera.

Early:

Mid:

Later:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Finally, my shots from Salvation Mountain:

It's bigger than you think and all done by one man:

It ook a few gallons of paint:

Everything carries a message:

Some are even welded on:

An interesting life's work for sure:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Here is a set that I think illustrates the changing moods of the Salton Sea. Clearly the mood here changes daily, but on this particular moarning it changed minute by minute. These three shots are taken over the course of about 12 minutes as the Sun rose and processed pretty much straight out of the camera.

Early:

Mid:

Later:
Tell ya bud i am still in debate over these myself on which minute looks the best. I am leaning towards number 2 . Mostly blue sky with a touch of pink. What I don't like so much is how hot in color the tree got. I like it more white

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Tell ya bud i am still in debate over these myself on which minute looks the best. I am leaning towards number 2 . Mostly blue sky with a touch of pink. What I don't like so much is how hot in color the tree got. I like it more white
I hear you --- I am torn, but leaning toward the earliest all blue ones...