The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

yellow flowers on tree HELP

J

Jamesmd

Yesterday and today I went out to take some photos of trees , and no way :( I just don't get them right , tried different lenses , different aperture , and its like there was never focus .

I know I'm not an expert , but I should be able just getting focus right :confused:

is there something about yellow ?

tomorrow I'll try again :deadhorse:

Cheers

James

Don Libby

James, I’ve a couple questions for you; what lens were you using? Did you try auto or manual focus and finally what was your f/stop? I should also ask how windy was it? I’ve always found shooting subjects like this very difficult.

Don

J

Jamesmd

Hi Don , thanks for reply

I went today again and looks better, but its like impossible to get the fluffy flours in focus .

this is a CZ 85 1.4 . I used AF . And F quite small this time for blurred background , but I did go further away this time so I think DOF was ok this time , and , there was no wind today , and , I shot iso 200 this time for faster shutter.
But still don't get the fluffy ones right , thinking of tripod next time , or I might be useless , that could be to . ;)

here they are .

thanks Don.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hard to say exactly, but when I look at the crops, it appears you are perhaps backfocusing slightly?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
And further away from the camera -- where backfocus is not as much of an issue ;)

J

Jamesmd

Hi Jack ,I'll test the lens .
but look these I took today and are fine , well I think they are.

both are 85 wide open , 1.4

The man is Buero Vallejo.

thamks

J

Jamesmd

Jack , could it be flare ?

their so yellow , and like lots of little hairs , you know what I mean ?

J

Jamesmd

By the way , when are we having workshops in Madrid !!??

Nice jamon, nice rioja , nice lots of things , ;)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi James:

I may be in Madrid mid July to check it out as a possible stop for a future "Grand European" workshop Guy and I are working on :)

Anyway, my point is that focus error can occur with change in distance -- so the 85 may be spot on at say 3 meters, but then off at 1 meter. And it can also change (significantly) with aperture! To test, I simply drop a coin on a well lit carpet and shoot the coin at about a 45 degree angle from various distances and apertures -- usually wide open through 11 in whole stops and 1 and 2 meters distance. Then at 100% it's easy to see where the carpet fibers are crisp and where the resolution falls apart.

Cheers,

J

Jamesmd

thanks ,

It must be a stop , lovely little villages around .If you come , tell me I'll invite you to a beer o 2 in some nice taberna .

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
My advice (after you check the backfocus issue per Jack's instruction) is to use a tripod and manual focus. If you are shooting wide open (or near), you will need to place focus precisely. Also, make sure it isn't windy. Wind is a deal killer when shooting little flowers like that.

J

Jamesmd

thanks Cindy. Yes , I should . you always think , bah , I don't need to cary the tripod , but ..

cheers