The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Share your Tree Photos

AlanS

Thankyou Peter, it has been a long journey with digital for me to get conversions that equal my old 5x4 FP4 negs. I feel I am about there now and as you may have noticed I really love B&W! :cool:

PeterA

Thankyou Peter, it has been a long journey with digital for me to get conversions that equal my old 5x4 FP4 negs. I feel I am about there now and as you may have noticed I really love B&W! :cool:
Well you evidence proof that climbing the funky learning curve with darktable? is worth the effort...
you''ll now have to write a master class in it... !!

AlanS

Yes I am now using darktable (for the last month). Once you know which modules to use and how to use them it is quite easy! I am still refining and learning but feel I am most of the way there now. Not so sure about a tutorial, not really my forte, but you never know.

Knorp

Well you evidence proof that climbing the funky learning curve with darktable? is worth the effort...
you''ll now have to write a master class in it... !!
Yes I am now using darktable (for the last month). Once you know which modules to use and how to use them it is quite easy! I am still refining and learning but feel I am most of the way there now. Not so sure about a tutorial, not really my forte, but you never know.
Yes Alan, a tutorial would do nicely ... :p
And I'd like to subscribe to your Masterclass ... :salute:

Knorp

I appreciate your faith in me Bart but I doubt there is much I can teach you my friend! :thumbup:
Oh don't underestimate you own capabilities, Alan.
I'm sure you could teach us a thing or two about Darktable how to get that b/w silvery look ...

pegelli

Three special trees I encountered on a walk earlier this week through "De Lovenhoek", a nature reserve near Pulderbos, Belgium

Ashes to ashes, but first covered with moss

Corkscrew birch

Wading to the other side

All three A7ii + Pentacon 29/2.8 (M42)

Knorp

Ok, Alan. I've downloaded and installed Darktable. Now which b/w module would you recommend ?

TIA

AlanS

Ok, Alan. I've downloaded and installed Darktable. Now which b/w module would you recommend ?
Actually I don't use any! :ROTFL:

I will explain later, I have to go out for a while.
Btw, thank's for the arm twist Bart! :cool:

AlanS

Right Bart, it goes something like this....
Open file
Apply filmic rgb module and adjust roughly to taste
Apply film preset (bottom l/h corner, I use across a lot)
Adjust filmic
Apply exposure module if required
Apply contrast equaliser as required
Apply tone equaliser as required
Apply split toning to taste
Apply sharpening to taste
I also use crop and rotate, lens correction and perspective correction as required.

There is a good series of utube tutorials by "Bruce Williams Photography" that will take you through the modules (plus masking), note that the rgb workflow is new in 3.0 and is at the end of Bruces tutorials (go there first).
Hope that helps.
It is a bit heavy going at first but once you grasp what is going on it gets much easier, there are a lot of modules and I am still experimenting with some (not mentioned here). Give me a shout as you progress and we can compare notes.