The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Images from recent trip to New Zealand

Analog6

I have just returned from a 24 day (full days on the ground) holiday in the South Island of New Zealand. the highlight of the trip was a Landscape Workshop run by QCCP at Kinloch, which is at the head of Lake Wakatipu, above Queenstown. It is a place I had long wanted to visit, since I saw it on a couple of pro's sites, including Australian Peter Eastway's, and we went to NZ last Sept intending to get there, but were hired a camper van with a faulty coil (by Apollo vehicle rentals) and it would not start until 9.30-10.30 am every morning!

I only managed 2 lots of dawn shots, and we were not game to go to Kinloch as it is somewhat remote and there is no mechanical garage within 80kms. We lost a whole day in Queenstown while they had a mechanic going over it. The fault turned out to be an old one which they must have known about and chose to ignore (it would have been a 3 day fix, we were told). And they would not give any refund or rebate at all.

The three day workshop was fabulous in that I did get to play with a 7D (very impressed) and learnt a lot of new ways to 'see'. Here are a couple from the first morning, we had lovely mists and clouds. The full set (so far, I am still editing over 6,000 images from the trip) are at my Zenfolio gallery (see signature).

Some shots from the workshop.

On the way to the course - blue patterns on the lake in the afternoon

1-4 are from dawn/sunrise on the first day

On day 2 in the afternoon we were driving to the Caples range (inland most end of the Routeburn track) for some shots, and I got the bus driver (who was one of the photographer/organisers) to stop and we all had a go at this lovely scene

And some fern contrasts

Terry

All I can say is wow! Fantastic....I haven't been home to look at this on a regular screen so just now getting to look. Now I want to see them bigger!

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Odille,
I love the photos. I am just now seeing them for the first time and will look at your web site to see more. I, like Terry, am looking at them on my laptop and can't wait to check them out on a proper display.

Analog6

Thanks, Terry & Cindy. It is hard to be objective about my own work. My partner and friends say they are good but it is nice to get other photographers views.
It was an awesome trip and the workshop was a full on all day photographic jump in! From lunchtime Friday to lunchtime Monday I hardly had the camera out of my hand. It was wonderful. First time I have done this type of thing, and I thoroughly recommend it. I learnt so much in new ways of seeing. I now see things to photograph that I would never have considered before.

Terry, you have some nice images on your blog. I like the bridge ones. I have a Panasonic Lumix as well as my big guns, the FZ35. I didn't realise the G2 was like an iPhone - looks very interesting!

Pat Donnelly

Odille

I love these!

I was so impressed and seeking larger examples, I went to your site. Even better!

Did you get your moneys worth from the experience? The light does seem good. I was there a while ago. You certainly used all that spare time waiting for your vehicle to start!

Analog6

I believe the money spent was worth it. I do hope to move there one day, and just love the place. There is nowhere in Oz to get these sort of higher altitude shots, the cold water lakes they have just do not exist here either.

The area at the head of Lake Wakatipu is unbelievably beautiful and the light is wonderful. The workshop was expensive, but while they did not give me a lot in techniques (I have been taking photos for over 40 years, after all) they did give me so many ideas on composition, aspects and actual subjects. Plus they showed us wonderful places I probably would not have found on my own, so it was worth it.

I would recommend this type of intensive workshop if people have the chance to do one in their special area of interest.