The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Kid in temple

helenhill

Great Capture......... :clap:
'Buddha & The Little Man'
'Little Boy Meets Big Boy Wonder'
Cheers ! -h

Terry

I really like this shot. Wonder who the dog belongs to? You certainly didn't get its attention when you were taking the shot cool.

T

theyanz

Hi Guy, sorry to be such a newbie, but what program did you use to straighten the picture?:confused: Was it Photoshop?

N

nei1

Have to disagree with the crop,youve changed a pleasant open enviting place into quite a claustrophobic one.Even the dog looks more menacing post crop.

jaapv

Subscriber Member
I'm no fan of the crop either, but straightening was needed.Interesting, compared to the other pillars, the left hand one is leaning outwards. I think the colour could do with some adjusting:

N

nei1

Id try to emphasize the girl and statue by deemphasizing the rest.

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Honestly I am not at all bothered by the slight distortions and leanings in the original, and think it is the best version of all posted as it keeps attention on the girl and the golden buddha.

I do like Guy's square crop though it has a completely different feel; it moves emphasis to the buddha, a good thing if that's the goal.

N

nei1

I agree with you Jack about the perspective correction as it seems to alter the viewpoint slightly,as if your now looking down on the scene,the original is better.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
the perspective correction as it seems to alter the viewpoint slightly,as if your now looking down on the scene
This is an excellent point and I did not want to let it slip away unnoticed...

When shooting architecture, a little known trick is to not make the sides perfectly parallel unless you are in fact looking from a straight-on mid-level position. If we are obviously looking up at a building, having the sides perfectly parallel immediately looks "wrong." By adding the slightest amount of upward camera tilt we add a tiny bit of convergence, and all of a sudden the image is believable even though the real convergence is significantly greater than what we showed.

My main point here is I think slight amounts of convergence (or divergence) are desirable as they aid in rendering believable perspectives in *any* image.

Cheers,

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
was it taken in nyc, chinatown?
I would say Chiang Mai, Thailand.

To me, the original looks best, distortions and all. I wouldn't even take it for granted that pillars and floor are straight. It's an old temple, and it has been flooded on numerous occasions. The photo looks slightly tilted though.

The wide crop gives me a stronger impression of contrast between the large room and the little girl. Nice photo, and absolutely much better than my own image from the same temple :)

Last edited:
O

Oxide Blu

Id try to emphasize the girl and statue by deemphasizing the rest.

I agree, that's the story that needs to be told. Everything else is extraneous, clutters the picture/story of a huge Buddha and a small girl at its feet. When you have to move your eyes up/down to "see" the image it reinforces that story.