The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Portraits of Your Gear

bensonga

Marc, you can go to KEH.com and use their online estimator. That should give you an idea. Or you can use the ebay method--list it on ebay for the price you are willing to sell for and then wait.
KEH is a good starting point, for sure. I think they will give you 50% of what they think they can sell it for. Check their listings for specific lenses etc. Their prices are perhaps a little high, but for a buyer, it offers the security of a 14 day, money back guarantee.

I was surprised at how little the old Canon film gear costs now....even something like the F-1 I bought, which was rated in EX+ condition. Sounds like the gear you have is EX+ or better.

Gary

Last edited:

etrigan63

Got my 24-70mm lens for portrait work. This is the Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG HSM EX which renders very nicely and is $1000 less than the Sony offering.

Karlo

Seriously overprocessed but i like it :

IIIc Stepper and (Maybe a US version K) With an authentic wartime Sonnar 1.5 T version. And a wartime timepiece :facesmack: i was born i the wrong decade...

Karlo

You and me too brother. I really would have fit in the '20's so much better, forget different decade, heck different century!
I could do different century no problem :thumbup: . I just can't stand the plasticy feel of everything (MP and some other things aside :grin:) produced today. I'd very much enjoy a nice timepiece, a quality pipe, strolling around with a barnack around my neck and getting my hands dirty in the real darkroom ...

Ben Rubinstein

I could do different century no problem :thumbup: . I just can't stand the plasticy feel of everything (MP and some other things aside :grin:) produced today. I'd very much enjoy a nice timepiece, a quality pipe, strolling around with a barnack around my neck and getting my hands dirty in the real darkroom ...
I have two pipes already if that helps? :)

Godfrey

I could do different century no problem. I just can't stand the plasticy feel of everything (MP and some other things aside) produced today. I'd very much enjoy a nice timepiece, a quality pipe, strolling around with a barnack around my neck and getting my hands dirty in the real darkroom ...
Not for me. While I enjoy older cameras (more than half the cameras I like to use are 20 years old or older), I would sorely miss a car as superb as my 2000 Mercedes SLK 230 Kompressor, a motorcycle as competent and wonderful as the '89 Guzzi LeMans V, a microwave oven, and instantaneous communications/information access anywhere, any time. I'd hate having 1920s medical care. I'd never make prints of the spectacular quality I can do today without Lightroom and an inkjet printer with pigment-based inks, in color and black and white, and never so inexpensively.

The past is the past. Wonderful to reminisce over and build fantasy around. But I love living in the present, and look forward to the future.

Oh, I should add a portrait of some gear to keep the theme of the thread fresh:

My Leica CL fitted with Voigtländer Color Skopar 21mm f/4 lens and 21/25mm Brightline finder, Zhou half case.
Photo made with Apple iPhone 4S.

We only get to move forward anyway. When Time stops, Life is over.

G

Godfrey

Me with Ricoh GXR, A12 Camera Mount, EVF, and 1960 Leitz Hektor 135mm f/4.5 ...

A nice merging of old and new. :)

G

Karlo

Godfrey, I agree with you those are some nice things but imo commodities. I've taken a break last summer and went to live 3months on the country with no such things as internet, mobile phone, kindle, i got around on a bike... I felt a bit more free in the end and my wallet felt like a million bucks ( well not exactly a million but you get my point :p ).

To continue the gear talk... Here is my "personalized" and <EP> marked Canon VT Deluxe... I've tracked it down to a serviceman in the Korean and Vietnam War...
He had photographs published in 4 books regarding the Vietnam conflict.

Godfrey

Godfrey, I agree with you those are some nice things but imo commodities. I've taken a break last summer and went to live 3months on the country with no such things as internet, mobile phone, kindle, i got around on a bike... I felt a bit more free in the end and my wallet felt like a million bucks ( well not exactly a million but you get my point :p ).
Oh, a quieter pace of living would be great. I regularly turn off the comm and walk rather than drive, when I can. When you get old enough, the medical services are important and not easily dismissed as commodities. I don't participate in the continuous buzz and nonsense that is most social media, and i turn off anything that includes advertisers yammering at me. The noise and buzz of the modern world is often obnoxious ... quiet it down, reduce distraction, become in touch with the world. These are good things.

... To continue the gear talk... Here is my "personalized" and <EP> marked Canon VT Deluxe... I've tracked it down to a serviceman in the Korean and Vietnam War...
He had photographs published in 4 books regarding the Vietnam conflict.

A very nice camera. :)
Every time I see one of these pretty things, the damn magpie squawks in my brain. "Pretty Pretty! Shiny!" Then I think, "Wait! No, I already have my M4-2. And my CL. I don't need another 35mm system camera. I should use both of them more instead..."

That magpie is a problem. Need to keep it under control. Enjoy the pretty pictures and relax, be satisfied, with what I already have. And use it.

G

4season

A recreation of one of my earliest digital photography setups:

"Everything you need to make movies and take pictures".

320x240 @ 13 shades of gray! Pretty heady stuff for me back in 1994.

Last edited: