The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Portraits of Your Gear

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I shot >100 digital and 10 film images the other day. It was about 4 hours on the digital images (sorting and post) and 6 hours on the film (developing, scanning, post). Keepers were 5 and 1. Film is behind about 7.5 to 1 on keepers/hour :rolleyes: I'm doing it as much to have another tool in the quiver (as it were) and because there *is* something fun about the old mechanical processes long as you don't have to do it all day, every day.

Oh, a portrait of gear... this isn't what I used the other day. 10 shots from this would be a lot more work. That was just one roll of Ilford Delta 400 in a Mamiya 7II :)

--Matt

pegelli

Scored an A7 yesterday, with 3 original Sony batteries and a Meike vertical grip.

Not sure I need/want the bulk of the grip, but for the rest everything works fine.

The Hawk adapter and M39-Elmarit 90/2.8 (1959) were already mine, and were mounted because using a 90 mm lens on the 90th day of the year seems like a good idea :salute:

Shashin

What I have been shooting recently. Fujifilm X Pro2 with XF 23mm, f/2.0, XF 14mm, f/2.8, and Minolta M-Rokkor 90mm, f/4.0. What I have been not doing recently: cleaning lenses.

bensonga

Still happily shooting with my trusty X-Pro1. I really enjoy using the smaller XF f2 R WR lenses on this camera.

Gary

bensonga

After a long search, I finally found a mint condition Mamiya 645 200mm f2.8 APO this morning. On its way from Japan to Alaska now. :grin:

bensonga

Not a portrait, just a snapshot. I'm trying to decide which system to take on a walking trip in Europe. Every time I use the SL, I wish I'd used the S, but the S and 3 primes weigh twice as much as the SL+WATE+zoom.

:banghead:,

Matt
Matt -- I had read the SL was big, but your photo really shows how much smaller it is than the S. I know which camera I would take if I was was going on a walking trip in Europe or anywhere else. Over the last several years, as I've aged into my mid-60s, I've come to appreciate the pleasure of traveling with and carrying lighter gear.

Gary

MGrayson

Matt -- I had read the SL was big, but your photo really shows how much smaller it is than the S. I know which camera I would take if I was was going on a walking trip in Europe or anywhere else. Over the last several years, as I've aged into my mid-60s, I've come to appreciate the pleasure of traveling with and carrying lighter gear.

Gary
Whoops! I'd deleted that post as I was going to take a better picture of the two cameras. In the meantime, here it is again:

The SL with the 24-90 zoom is much closer in size to the S. Here they both have very wide angle lenses. The SL with a 50 Cron is downright tiny. :)

Best,

Matt

Shashin

But that S sure looks pretty. But that is the dilemma--cameras that feel good in the hands, don't always feel good around the neck or in the bag. Still, I err to the "in the hands" thing. If a camera is not satisfying to use, it probably does not get used. Still, I am really enjoying the X Pro2. It is small and light, but big enough to feel like a camera.

But weight is a thing (or rather gravity mixed with mass (I might move to the moon at some point)). I never used quick release plates just because the weight added up; the extra time to mount a camera on a tripod never bothered me. I always use the mountain climbing credo--watch the ounces and the pounds will take care of themselves. It is surprising how all the little things add to the load.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
But that S sure looks pretty. But that is the dilemma--cameras that feel good in the hands, don't always feel good around the neck or in the bag. Still, I err to the "in the hands" thing. If a camera is not satisfying to use, it probably does not get used.
This is so true, and one of the reasons why I use m4/3 for travel and good, old Nikon DSLRs for 8 hours around the race track.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Ummm... Santa Claus, or was it the mailman, did a sharp u-turn around these parts the other day, and look what fell out of his bag. Rather convenient if you ask me, since I needed a smaller medium format alternative to the GX680. In more or less mint condition and a price tag of $680 all included, it won't break any banks.

Just to ensure that it won't feel alone, I hurriedly ordered a 150mm f/3.5, a couple of new-in-box film holders and a couple more, also new-in-box, film inserts plus a new-in-box +2 diopter lens that's perfect for my eyesight and another +3 that will be perfect in ten years, so I'm approaching a thousand dollars here. It's so cheap it almost makes me feel sad :ROTFL:

Next: Buy batteries and load some film!

MGrayson

Congrats, Jorgen!

Speaking of gear, here are three cameras with the same FoV and DoF. TL2 with 35/1.4, SL with 50/2, and S with 70/2.5. It's not perfect (the S is a bit long), but it's astonishingly close for a comparison. The S wins for beautiful bokeh, but the 50 Cron on the SL and the 35 Lux on the TL2 are remarkably similar. And the 35 has AF!

Best,

Matt

pegelli

A shot of my eleven "nifty-fifties" taken in honour of the yearly week 50 challenge over at Dyxum (December 11-17)

Even though Dyxum is a Minolta/Sony site "Week 50" is a gear agnostic challenge, so if you want to read about what it entails (and maybe sign up) you can do that in this thread.