The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Super Moon

weinschela

Subscriber Member
Saturday the moon was at perigee, closest in 18 years. Night was clear. I hooked up my 5dmkii to a Meade ETX telescope, used live view to focus, and experimented with exposure. Here is the result:

mathomas

Telescope? That's cheating :).

Here's my attempt with a Sony A55 and Minolta 100-300 APO (and cropped):

weinschela

Subscriber Member
mathomas: Nice shot.

I used the telescope because it lets you see tbe craters and the rough surface of the moon at the edges. Not sure you can see that in the low res file posted. It was pretty amazing, and the file is good enough to enlarge significantly. The Meade ETX I used is more than 20 years old not very sophisticated, about an F/13 equivalent but a moon image will almost fill a 35 mm size frame. The scope is pretty good for the moon and not so good for anything else. I guess I can drag it out every 18 years for a perigee moon.

I would say it was fun, but to get it right I was out for a couple of hours, freezing my backside off.

mathomas

Hehe. Well, I think your results were worth the freezing (isn't that always the way, with astronomy/astrophotography?).

:thumbup: