The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

6X12 in Jerusalem

Ben Rubinstein

Last week Wednesday a fire broke out in the Jerusalem forest. We with our children were evacuated from our apartment as the flames grew nearer and the smoke thicker. We returned late at night to find that just 50 yards from our house 7 buildings had gone up. I went for a bike ride into the forest on the way to work this morning. I was not prepared for sight of a mile square of burnt and blackened trees, the forest floor grey with ash and dust. A site where I had wanted to do a shoot with a model, burnt on either side of the road. The tree I posted just above here, the scenery looks horribly different now. As I reached the end of the road having looked in sadness at that barren valley I turned back and although the sun was well up the light just at that moment turned beautiful on the remaining few trees by the side of the road, just at the edge of where the fire was. Hope and beauty at the edge of horror. Very apt today of all days.

Sony A7r, Pentax Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 @ f8, handheld.