Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 6X12 in Jerusalem

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

6X12 in Jerusalem

I've been trying to kickstart a project for a while now which involves shooting cityscapes and architecture in Jerusalem. I work in the UK (wedding photographer) so I'm rarely at home for more than a few days and as such it's going very slooooowly! Originally I had intended to shoot this project on LF, I intend to shoot it all in the 6X12 format, but after trying it in the field too many technical problems got in the way. I've switched to stitching with my 5D, a 6 shot stitch will give me a 39 megapixel file in the 6X12 format which is perfect for the 36X18" prints that I hope to make from these shots and is really fast to do in the field.

These two are from yesterday and today. I have a whole bunch of locations but shooting in the Old City of Jerusalem the light moves incredibly fast but the real problem is the never ending tourists and the wind tunnel effect due to the narrow alleyways which makes any image with foliage very hard to shoot stopped down.

__

I'll have more to show as I get the chance, I'm going out again tomorrow to try and shoot this image (below), this was a test image I took a while ago, I tried to do it again today but screwed up on the angles.

I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: 6X12 in Jerusalem

Hi Ben:

I like the 6x12 format a lot, and I think you've done a great job with the vertical compositions here, kudos! (that last one is going to be a stunner and worth getting just right!)

Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful images, both of them. The format really suits the subject. like them a lot!
    Mat

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Finally got it right, or close enough! I've tried to shoot this a few times since that test shot taken @ f2.8 six months ago...

The saga goes on, I'm shooting all this week I hope, break for a week to do some real work then inbetween designing storybook albums I should have a further 2 weeks to shoot.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Todays effort.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looking good Ben!!!

Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Jack, didn't get out today for various reasons (OK I slept in!) but here's one from a year and a half ago, 2:3 crop, Western Wall, first rain of the year 11pm.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Two more for your attention, the long alleyway photo is technically impossible focus wise using a 70mm lens on FF given that the paving stones in front of me are at the lenses minimum focus distance and the picture is pin sharp front to back! I did it by shooting it in tiny chunks refocusing as I went along and then stitched the whole result for a horribly sharp 50 megapixel file. Very proud of that photo, I didn't think it would be possible to get focus back to front without using Helicon focus which would have been impossible given how much foliage was moving. It was a wind tunnel as you can guess! I could have used a wider lens shot more open than the f16 I was using but it would have killed the perspective.

The 2nd has quite a bit of moving foliage but it's in the distance, for example all the foliage on the left hand side in the foreground is very sharp. Luckily I wasn't trying HDR, the sun was low enough to give more interesting shadows but even with that at iso 400 I was shooting at a 1/6 due to the polariser and f22. Stitching while holding the perspective necessary IMO for these types of heavily architectural cityscapes means telephotos and suddenly shutter speeds are horribly low and you're stopped down to f16-22 as a minimum.

I did shoot a third one but ran into a brick wall trying to fit too many stops of DR into a scene with too much moving foliage and long shutter speeds. I did bracket but the ghosting is horrific. I think some of the pictures I want to do will have to wait till winter when I can get flatter light.

Last edited by Ben Rubinstein; 7th August 2008 at 15:00.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The man sitting under the tree in the 2nd photo, right in the middle at the end of the path. Wow but I love stitching, this wasn't even such a big file, 25 megapixels, I forgot to shoot an extra frame, this is only a 4 frame stitch from a 5D!

Last edited by Ben Rubinstein; 7th August 2008 at 15:10.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice job Ben, I like this last one a lot!
    Jack

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Jack, I have another composition ready to go shot pretty much by turning 180 degrees from that one. Oh and a whole bunch more there in the Old City but this week I return to shooting weddings in the UK after a 3 week break.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

From the picture above and turned pretty much 180 degrees. Not sure I'm happy with this one. Opinions welcome. Keep in mind there is a huge amount of detail, it's intended to be printed big, 30X15" to 36X18". I think I may go back and shoot in in completely flat light though it means waiting for the winter. The shadows across the path seem to ruin the point of the path leading the eye into the frame which is what was intended.

Last edited by Ben Rubinstein; 19th August 2008 at 12:27.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now this one I'm a lot happier with! There is a trick to photographing people in a stiched image, you have to make sure that you can fit the people in a frame AND have plenty room around it for the stitching program to use. Not easy to do but I'm going to be using this method a lot more, I think human content can make a lot of these types of image far more dynamic. This picture would be very boring without that guy walking down the steps. My way of thinking is that with a very photographed part of the world, the images need something special to be different. I'm trying to do that with the crop, but the lighting and in some cases human presence is essential to 'make' the photo. Probably why the above photo doesn't work for me, I'm going to do it again with people walking down the path and the lighting flatter.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    Now this one I'm a lot happier with! There is a trick to photographing people in a stiched image, you have to make sure that you can fit the people in a frame AND have plenty room around it for the stitching program to use. Not easy to do but I'm going to be using this method a lot more, I think human content can make a lot of these types of image far more dynamic. This picture would be very boring without that guy walking down the steps. My way of thinking is that with a very photographed part of the world, the images need something special to be different. I'm trying to do that with the crop, but the lighting and in some cases human presence is essential to 'make' the photo. Probably why the above photo doesn't work for me, I'm going to do it again with people walking down the path and the lighting flatter.

Love this Ben!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Marc, I've now put my current work in the Old City of Jerusalem, including work which isn't 6X12 into this slideshow which I'll update as I go along and notify here.

www.studio-beni.net/jerusalem

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Agree totally with Marc --- that last image is an outstanding composition!
    Jack

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is a trial (just walking around) that I want to go back and reshoot properly. This was shot in close to midday sun though the light is still pretty directional. I think a dawn shoot when the light will be coming from the same angle should do it. I'm wavering between going for a clear or cloudy morning.

It's a bit academic at present, I don't have a tripod head! My manfrotto hydraulic head burst in the midday sun and my BH-40 was supposed to be brought back from the states by my father but he managed to lose it, it's in Canada with him at present , trying to pin an international lecturer down long enough to get any sense out of him is hard, especially when he's about as practical as all intellectuals!

Sigh...

Yemin Moshe, Jerusalem. Contrast might look more even if I'd shot at more than f2.8, only the tree is in focus!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just realised that this composition is EXACTLY the same as the picture above it. Oh well, doubt many will notice. Pretty much all of my compositions in the this series are identical anyway. Take these three.

_]_]

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ben,
    This is great!
    -bob

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Bob, you should see it printed big, it's a 30 megapixel file, the detail is astounding though to be honest this picture would work if it was shot on a p&s...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, here is the finished product. 32 megapixel stitch and the detail is incredible even with a (relatively) inferior lens. Bit of a story behind getting the picture to work. Got up at 4:30 this morning to get on location for the post dawn light. I set up, the light is incredible, I shoot for about an hour. At the end of the session just before packing up I wanted to double check if I had enough DOF at f18 to get the windmill sharp so I zoom in and the photos have significant movement. Weird, I'm using a very strong tripod and head (Gitzo 2 + BH-40). I assume that just that frame was bad, shoot it again and pack up. Then it hits me, I forgot to turn the IS off on my 24-105L! Panic! I quickly set up again and take another series just before the sun rises a bit too high.

I get home, the colour is incredible (the IS only showed up every now and again, managed to save most frames). Problem is the frames are incredibly bland in B&W, contrast all wrong. The test photo was taken at midday and looked good, so I race back to the location and do it all over again at 11:30am. Good enough, matching test shots for angle is almost impossible, especially when the real one is stitched from 8 frames!

Yemin Moshe, Jerusalem. First area to be built outside of the walls of the Old City of Jerusalem some 200 years back.
    Last edited by Ben Rubinstein; 6th November 2008 at 09:30.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Impressive, well done!

It is supposed to be possible to leave the IS on when using a tripod with modern Canon lenses -- but I have found the same problem -- it seems to be counterproductive, and despite what they say, I now turn it off.
    Sláinte

Robert.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A trio from last night. All taken from within a radius of 4 square yards. I love shooting there, it's a treasury of opportunity!

__

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very nice series Ben!
    Jack

Oxide Blu

Finally got it right, or close enough! I've tried to shoot this a few times since that test shot taken @ f2.8 six months ago...

I prefer the original version you posted when you started the thread. I see lots of black on top, down the left side. I want to see a thread of black down the right side and across the bottom. You got in closer for this version, I would have done the opposite, moved back, made the subject a bit smaller. It would also emphasize the light coming out of the tunnel, something that was de-emphasized by moving closer.

The first version is about a tunnel. This version is about what is on the other side of a tunnel. But hey, that's just me. Very nice series.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The original was shot 6 months earlier (sun at different angle) as a snapshot @ f2.8, it's taken me this long to get this close and to be honest, although I agree that it isn't quite as good, it's as close as I can be bothered to get after multiple tries.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Seasons greeting bump: Happy Chanukah, Merry Christmas, etc. to all.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would have had some decent chanuka in Jerusalem images if I wasn't coughing my guts out with a nasty chest cough coupled with the flu, it ain't fair, I don't smoke! Actually I caught it off my daughter (2 year old) she has far more energy than me with this flu, I've hardly moved out of the house for 2 days. Why couldn't this have happened last week when I was glued to the computer anyway changing over to XP 64 bit!

I had two images in mind, one of which I've been waiting to take for 3 years, the other I only thought of this year and I might set up (blasphemy?) anyway to get the concept perfectly executed.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is one from yesterday, I've known about this little street for a while but never seen how to shoot it until I was walking past with a friend one night on the way for a felafel and suddenly it clicked. I let the guy blur on purpose, I think it works well with the scene and his age. The road is certainly very old and was where Rav (Rabbi) Kook, the revered first Chief Rabbi of Israel lived. The area is being built around and this little street is an oasis of older times amongst modern building work. The Olive tree and paving stones are coated in a thick layer of dust (as was I and my camera by the end of this!) from a huge building site on the right. To the left of where I was standing is the entrance to a courtyard which looks little different to those of Talmudical times. I got talking to a resident of the courtyard and have his phone number so hopefully I'll be going back!

I have a horrifically quiet Febuary and March (economic crisis hits the wedding business) so apart from starting some teaching I'm hopefully going to get more work done on this project.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK, opinions please. These are two 'throwaway' shots, stuff that I thought of doing but wasn't particularly excited about. Went shooting yesterday to redo a shot that needed better lighting, the light was perfect, blue skies, fluffy clouds and bright even lighting. Anyway I get there and find out that they've erected scaffolding across some 300 meters of the outside wall of the Old City, exactly where I wanted to shoot. Probably be up there for a while as well , anyway, went into the city and took these two shots. Opinions please.

Thinking of going back and doing it again with someone on the path this time.

Technically the composition is wrong for just about every reason under the sun but I'm not sure if it doesn't work (just) anyway.

Oh well...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK, I kept the first one (re post above), it grew on me, the 2nd didn't so it's been consigned to the garbage.

Here's the first from today:

I really have to start noting down the street names as I wander around shooting this stuff, I know where it is though so I'll work it out so as to give it a name of sorts.

The next image is rather complicated to process but I hope to get it up tonight still.
    Last edited by Ben Rubinstein; 26th April 2009 at 10:54.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here we go, resizing down from a 37 megapixel image and web jpg compression has killed the subtle highlights on the stairs but hey, you get the idea. Kudos to the cat who stayed completely still for a 2 second exposure! (and that at iso 800..). There was a rather eccentric old woman by appearance who was feeding milk to the stray cats who roam Jerusalem just at the top of the stairs. Originally I just wished she would move out of the way but then the idea came to use one of the cats to complete the composition. Took me an hour to capture one in the right place, with the right pose and staying still long enough!

ddk

Yes, the cat does elevate the image to another level for me. Wonderful!

Never imagined anywhere in Jerusalem can ever be this quiet, what did you do to get rid of the people and the pests?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I didn't, just waited a looooooong time! I'm a wedding photographer, if I didn't have inhuman patience I wouldn't be able to do my job!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

From a cat to a bird. Boy did I get sunburnt out there today!

Batei Machsei

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

3 more from today.

__

Not sure about the middle one, very happy with the last one but it's a single shot cropped to 6X12 so only 6.6 megapixels worth. That said for some reason the file looks exactly like a scan from 35mm film (high iso and gritty blacks) so I'm not scared to enlarge it. With some shots the moment will carry the image far further than you would expect from the quality.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Rather pleased with this one from today.

A young girl returning from school with her bag on her back, running through the narrow alleyways of the old and cobbled streets of Jerusalem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ben:

It looks like a distinctive style is emerging in your 6x12 work -- and that is definitely a good thing! Very nice series
    Jack

nei1

Ben,I always look forward to your next photo in this series.Youve picked yourself a difficult space to fill,eventhough Ive always liked the 2x1 ratio as a horizontal space,the challenge to fill it vertically as youve done ,I think,would be beyond me.......all the best,Neil.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here we go, resizing down from a 37 megapixel image and web jpg compression has killed the subtle highlights on the stairs but hey, you get the idea. Kudos to the cat who stayed completely still for a 2 second exposure! (and that at iso 800..). There was a rather eccentric old woman by appearance who was feeding milk to the stray cats who roam Jerusalem just at the top of the stairs. Originally I just wished she would move out of the way but then the idea came to use one of the cats to complete the composition. Took me an hour to capture one in the right place, with the right pose and staying still long enough!

Absolutely Masterful Ben.

Okay, so how do I secure a print? Me wanty. PM me with how to do it ... sizes and prices please.

-Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pm'd you Marc. Thanks Nei1. I added a 2:3 format picture to the collection (see link below, flag pic), first shot in a while outside of the 1:2 format, felt strange!
    Last edited by Ben Rubinstein; 8th May 2009 at 03:53.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Two from yesterday, interestingly both shots of the back of synagogues (shooting from the front is so cliched! ) in the area of Yemin Moshe just outside of the Old City Jerusalem.

Yismach Moshe Synagogue (Sephardic)

Bet Yisrael Synagogue (Ashkenazi) founded 1886.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well just found out that the ivy on the building image from the post above wasn't actually saved on the computer for some reason...

Luckily it was just a curves layer and then a combination of two B&W renditions followed by a local contrast enhancement. Only took me 5 minutes to redo but no idea how that happened!

This is from today, bit heavier rendition than I usually do but it seems to suit the image. From the Nachlaot area where it's hard to walk through without getting a high from the grass smoked by the hippies who infest the area!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Been a while, I've been busy with the summer wedding season, spent 5 weeks in the UK shooting weddings with just 5 days of that at home (3 weekends) and yes it was an absolute killer!

Took a kid out with me today, having problems at college and his father asked me if I could take him with me so that he could get some time out just relaxing and doing something different. It was a good kick up the bum for me to go out and take photos for my project after a horrendous week of all nighters catching up with the processing. I was only scouting today (should have more in the future as a result of todays scouting) but this one worked out well as a spur of the moment. Only about 20 yards from the 'cat' shot shown earlier. I like the softer contrast look in this shot.

I didn't really have a long enough lens to get the resolution I needed and I couldn't come closer and maintain the 'look' so although this was a 5 frame stitch it only ended up as 17 megapixels post crop. That is 17 megapixels after all the perspective adjusments though so it's not too bad. It's got all the sharpness and detail that's needed pretty much.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've passed this scene every time I went to the airport (about 50 times in the past 1.5 years) on the way to the UK to shoot weddings. It's in the Jerusalem Forest and as I don't have a car here and it's pretty inaccessable otherwise I've never gotten round to shooting it. I've rented a car to go north to Tzfat (Safed) tomorrow scouting for a new project so I took the opportunity to shoot this. Not sure if I've achieved something or just got something out of my system. You tell me.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Went up to Tzfat (Safed) yesterday, the mystical and kabbalistic city of old though nowadays more a hangout of hippies and a major drug conduit from the Jordan Valley. I also went to visit some of the holy sites from the time of the Talmud. It was a scouting trip with a friend to give me an idea as to the scope of a future project up there. I did get several photos there for starters. Seperating the Tzfat of historical significance from the hippie and commercialised yeuch of today is going to be a serious challenge, far more difficult than I had expected or than the Old City and settlements of Jerusalem.

From a square in Tzfat, all within 10 metres of each other and the latter two taken from the same wall where I was sitting nursing very sore feet!

__

Tzfat Vines: Lamp post: Kedushat Pinchas

Here is a photo taken from the Burial Site of the Mishnaic 'Tanna' Rabbi Tarfon. This is pretty much straight out of camera and converted to B&W, shot handheld @ f8, I need to go back and do it again properly. I've no idea how I would stitch a shot like this and still get that distorted look of the arch that I got using a 17mm focal length. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Please excuse the nasty posterisation, it isn't in the original file.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Been a while though there will be more work through the winter which looks to be as dead for bookings as last year, sigh..

I only had 5 days I could shoot in the Old City during the Sukkot Festival and due to many considerations (all procrastination!) I only got out there on the last one. 5am, just before dawn, I'm on location, I set up, take out my little 'Walkstool' and sit down to wait for someone to walk through the arch and start shooting.

Bit of an introduction, my Canon Timer Remote Controller was cut in half and a stereo jack and socket installed for the days when I shot with a EOS 50 that used the old jack for long night shooting on film. Anyway for some reason I'm not getting a good connection with my setup on location and when I tried to fiddle with it, the stereo socket falls apart in my hand leaving me with a broken cable release. I was shooting at a 1/6 iso 1600 to give you an idea why that was a problem! I also wanted to be sitting by the tripod not standing with my finger on the trigger, I wanted people looking towards the arch they were walking to not at me!

One field strip (teeth) and splice of the wires later and I'm back in business! When I was holding the bits in my hands and bemoaning my situation (no days left to get the image, woke up stupidly early, etc) I remembered that there are never any excuses for a pro. Now I'm a wedding shooter by profession but the principle was the same. I stopped feeling sorry for myself and got down to sorting out the problem. Note, nothing I've ever tried to DIY in my life has ever worked, especially trying something like this. Couldn't believe it worked!

Sukkot Dawn

Picture took a full day of wrestling with in Autopano Pro, was very difficult to get right as it's a pretty wide FOV and shot upwards. PTGUI did a perfect job straight out though by the time it had finished all the stretching and pulling necessary it left me with an 11 megapixel file and not a very sharp one at that. The Autopano version gave me 21 megapixels but needed more work in PS.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

From today, heavy driving rain, kinda squint through almost opaque spectacles and guess through the plastic cover over your camera.

Mango

Thank you! What a wonderful experience to see such pictures.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now this should be a treat - most successful 24 hours of shooting I've ever done for keepers! Went up to Safed (Tzfat), the ancient kabbalistic city to do a commercial shoot that I'll share later. Took some time out for my own work at the cost of only 3 hours of sleep in the car! All around the city are the burial sites of the writers of the Mishna and the Talmud, quiet and peaceful sites where the greatest leaders and teachers of the Jewish people lived, taught and died (actually most were killed by the Romans but anyway...).

Methinks that this should be quite a treat...

1)

The Synagogue of the 'Alshich', 16th Century Biblical commentator. Only Synagogue to survive the major 18th century earthquake in Safed.
    2)

Safed night life..

3)

Site where the writer of the original and main work of kabbala, Rabbi Shimon Bar Yochai taught. The books on the shelf are the 'Zohar' what is now known as Kabbala by most. Written over 20 years of hiding in a cave with his son from the Romans who had issued a death warrant on all those who taught the Torah about the year 80.

4)

At the monument for the Mishnaic writer, Rabbi Tarfon just after dawn.

5)

The grave site of the Talmudic writer Rabbi Krospedoi near Safed, at dawn.

6)

Very proud of this one..
    At the synagogue over the burial site of Rabbi Meir (known as the miracle worked), the writer and compiler of the Mishna, the written works of the Jewish Oral Law and what the entire Talmud and all Jewish law and tradition is based on.
    Last edited by Ben Rubinstein; 12th November 2009 at 10:51.