The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

which do you prefer?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I like the second one. The boys on the right on the first one really bother me. Although I like the shot. The second one tells the story better also

D

ddk

(both from the local annual triathlon competition, last Saturday – Sony R1)
The first one could be a great picture but needs some work, as Guy mentioned the people on the left are distracting, you need to make them less so. Otherwise I really like the rest, the black wet suit has a lot of presence, there's power, motion and great reflections on it, imo this image has a lot of potential!

The 2nd image is ok and yes it tells the story better but I don't find anything special about it. I guess the one to choose depends on how you want to use them.

Maybe a sandwich of both images will give exactly what you want.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

The first one has a lot of power just need to get rid of the kids on the left and it would be outstanding

Terry

I love how you captured the legs in the first one but like Guy, I think the two people standing there do detract and the second one although not quite as dramatic tells the story better.

HansAlbert

thanks

Thanks all for your comments. You are quite right, as I feared, that the teens in the first pic are detracting. I made them a little less detracting but have no idea how to get totally rid of them. (It was their job to stand on both sides, so they are in most of the photos from that place.) Yes, the second tells a better story, so I am in two minds.
BTW I had put the camera on the ground on a little tripod and released the shots by cable remote control, looking from above at the swivel-mounted lcd of the R1. There were some other photographers with better cameras than mine, but they couldn't get this angle of view. Why only isn't this feature (swivel-mounted lcd) so seldom?

This is the new version:

N

nei1

If you dont mind cropping lose the child on the far left and the hand and darken the T-shirt as much as possible,its possible that the hand above her head is not adding much.Regards,Neil.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The only problem with the first image is I had no idea it was a competitor (in a triathalon?) until I saw image 2. I mean on its own, image 1 could be a snorkeler that ate at a bad restaurant earlier that day. It is a good composition though...

Guy Mancuso

Well I just had to do it. I will remove if OP wants me too. Just had to try it out and see if it helps

D

ddk

I still say a sandwich is best of both worlds

Here's a quick and nasty just to give you an idea but can clean up pretty good given a little time.

HansAlbert

Re: I still say a sandwich is best of both worlds

Here's a quick and nasty just to give you an idea but can clean up pretty good given a little time.
Now I understand. Impressive, I like it. But I am afraid, this pic is not eligible for the contest, because it's better than reality.

HansAlbert

If you dont mind cropping lose the child on the far left and the hand and darken the T-shirt as much as possible,its possible that the hand above her head is not adding much.Regards,Neil.
This is the uncropped photo:

Now what about this 4/3-crop? I sacrificed the hand for getting rid of the distraction:

There is another athlet I caught well, but I am afraid, not so dynamic as the first:

helenhill

I LOVE the first shot WITHOUT the two boys...
the legs & feet are Quite Stunning caught in Action
(Per Guy's Crop)

best-H :)

sizifo

Must say, I'm not won over by the idea of having just the lower part of the body in the photo. An odd perspective should add something extra, and for me this doesn't. What was the reason not to recompose as in the last shot? As a composition that works the best for me, even though, like you say, the moment is not as dynamic as the others.

ecliffordsmith

Hi All,

Well, from the initial two offered I like the fact two participants show the context better in the second image.

Guy,

I am no post processor but I am impressed with your modifications.

N

nei1

Personally I think its ok to crop if you really must ,youre not changing the world you photographed,but to sponge out a couple of kids to obtain a desired image seems inconsiderate and a little rude.Having looked at the image again the original with all the kids in is the best.